Windows 8 Increased Its Market Share in December

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am sure that the Windows 8 market share will also go up in January as well by a similar amount. However in February I expect that there will be little or no increase in the market share as Windows 8 goes on sale at the full price.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Haze4peace,

Warn us next time your gonna post screenshot so hideously ugly ... but I'm sure it looks just right on a tiny mobile screen. Hope you don't buy any more games, you'll run out of screen space pretty quick ... LOL.

I don't think you are the ONLY one that likes Win 8, I'd say out of 1 Billion Microsoft OS users, there are at least 50, maybe even 60 users that like it also.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]haze4peace[/nom]I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes windows8. It definitely needs more work though. My single biggest annoyance is you cannot create tiles natively. You must download a 3rd party program such as Oblytile to add this feature. Once you do that the metro UI is infinitely more useful. I use it as a fullscreen start button. Here is a picture of my current metro UI... I]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d91sv7.jpg[/citation]I actually feel that the Start button wasn't removed, but changed into the Metro menu.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]Dear Microsoft, as a T1 Distributor, I still sell a hundred and fifty thousand copies of Windows 7, before I have to force a single copy of Winblows 8 onto a poor sap. I suggest you grow a pair, and recall that software, make a stand! You will regain integrity. Windows 8 is an absolute disgrace, and an insult to a user interface.[/citation]
There are too many devices that are now coming out that require Windows 8. Tablets, touch screen laptops and phones. And while I don't use it, Win 8 isn't that bad.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
"Windows 8 Increased Its Market Share in December"

I love this headline... would have been embarrassing if it had lost market share two months after release :)

IB

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Haze4peace,Warn us next time your gonna post screenshot so hideously ugly ... but I'm sure it looks just right on a tiny mobile screen. Hope you don't buy any more games, you'll run out of screen space pretty quick ... LOL.I don't think you are the ONLY one that likes Win 8, I'd say out of 1 Billion Microsoft OS users, there are at least 50, maybe even 60 users that like it also.[/citation]

If you don't like the looks of it, that is fine, but if there are more games i can scroll easily using the scroll wheel. You're telling me that you would rather hit start->games->game folder->game.exe and that is better? Each his own, but I don't agree.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The title is incomplete: "Windows 8 Increased Its Market Share in December" "by the smallest share ever for a Microsoft Windows OS"

G

I actually love Metro... and I don't get why some of you criticise the interface while appreciating technical improvements in the OS. Mainly because there are none. Under the hood, it is a Windows 7 with a different outfit, and it still carries all the problems W7 has (the most severe of which is it not being a Unix ;) ).
But for the first time in Microsoft's hyper-conservative history, the menus have gone away from the interface and they have been replaced by tiles and mouse gestures, that (believe it or not) are 1000 times more intuitive and quick. And for the programs that still benefit from a classic menu-like desktop interface (i.e. productivity and professional creative sw), a full-featured desktop is still there.

TL;DR: W8 is the same as W7 from a technical viewpoint, but Metro is way better than the Windows 95 interface we are used to.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The Surface can be compared to the PlayStation 3 at launch (the 60 GB model was $599 at the time). Price was the #1 thing stopping adoption. Lower the price, and then we'll talk.

G

In other news: "Product that just came out is being bought by some people."

Wow.

"
OK, 8 haters, if Windows 8 is so bad and Windows 7 is so good
How come Windows 8 increased by 0.71% and Windows 7 increased by 0.4% ????
"

Actually that shows that Windows 7 - a several years old product - is almost out-selling their brand new supposedly "better" product. Woops.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dontbuythingsfornoreason[/nom]Actually that shows that Windows 7 - a several years old product - is almost out-selling their brand new supposedly "better" product. Woops.[/citation]
So I guess that the uptake of Windows 8 amongst Steam users to over 6% whilst Windows 7 is actually decreasing, showing that people are upgrading their 7's to 8's, is just a fluke
Pretty much all the big OEMs are still selling Windows 7 PCs/laptops and copies of Windows 7 on disk are still available everywhere both retail and online, and soooo many haters in here have already said they will be stockpiling several copies of Windows 7
So nearly outselling isn't really true is it, Windows 8 is outselling Windows 7 by 2 to 1, i'm not saying Windows 8 is so much better because it isn't, it is a slight improvement and for most people Windows 7 is rock solid and will be for years to come
The real problem Microsoft has for the future is selling a product on reliability when the previous product was so stable which is why Windows 8 has to stand only on it's features, as with XP a lot of users upgraded to Windows 7 because it was a real upgrade, not just the UI but everything from security, stability, networking, gaming, etc. Windows 8 has the same upgrades on Windows 7, but because they are not as drastic as the difference between XP and 7 people find it hard to justify, especially when a lot of the same people have have a Windows 7 machine running 24/7 forever without a single hang or crash
I personally alt between desktop and Metro and use Metro as a launcher for Steam games as Steam Tiles app I think looks better than Steams own "big picture" mode

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Mekan[/nom]What we are seeing is a Microsoft transitioning as IBM did previously.[/citation]
IBM is still one of the biggest companies in the world, just because they aren't as much a consumer visible company, doesn't mean they aren't massive, their total assets are roughly the same as Microsoft and their R&D people are some of the best ion the world. even though not all for computers and IT, things like micro-sensors for detecting stress points in long-span bridges mean they are part of what is building the actual infrastructure of the world. They hold the record for the most number of patents every year since well into the last century and even though some may not see real world usage for 10 to 20 years you are pretty much guaranteed that not a single one is a rectangle with round corners
Imagine if there was a tech forum when they invented bar codes, some bright spark would have said, "useless, what a waste of time" we need more companies like IBM

Mekan

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]IBM is still one of the biggest companies in the world, just because they aren't as much a consumer visible company, doesn't mean they aren't massive, their total assets are roughly the same as Microsoft and their R&D people are some of the best ion the world. even though not all for computers and IT, things like micro-sensors for detecting stress points in long-span bridges mean they are part of what is building the actual infrastructure of the world. They hold the record for the most number of patents every year since well into the last century and even though some may not see real world usage for 10 to 20 years you are pretty much guaranteed that not a single one is a rectangle with round corners...Imagine if there was a tech forum when they invented bar codes, some bright spark would have said, "useless, what a waste of time" we need more companies like IBM[/citation]

This is exactly what I was saying. Now IBM had a business model focused on the corporate world that dabbled in the consumer world. This is the opposite for Microsoft today. They will transition to the IBM model or die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS