Windows 8 Users Receiving How-to Emails From Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
^That too!
--

There's a Youtube video that gut punches initial buyer's remorse by NewEgg. But still doesn't full sell the damned OS which is half backed if not outright a broken mess (as per usual).

Couldn't have hurt MS to have included something like that as a primer during installation. 'Thanks for 4 million licenses though chumps' I'm sure someone over there cackled on the way to the bank.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
'Thanks for 4 million licenses though chumps' I'm sure someone over there cackled on the way to the bank.

MS is currently offering Windows 8 Pro upgrade download for $40. Plus the media pack upgrade that will be $10 next year is free.

At that price, I picked up a copy. I don't like metro, but $40 is cheap enough that I don't care, and am willing to give it a try on a second PC I use as a HTPC. Having used it a bit now, if not for Metro, I would like a lot of the changes MS did with 8. I have no plans to switch my primary PC to 8, but I will continue to use 8 on the 2nd PC to see if it grows on me.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Two emails explain foundation of the new operating system.

Just the fact that this is necessary speaks volumes about Metro. Even on a tablet.

Why does there need to be a tutorial that tells you how to close apps? Shouldn't a one-shot-deal tooltip be enough?

Why is it more unintuitive than "click the X" (every sane desktop UI) or "push the button" (every mobile OS ever)?

At the very least, this should have been built-in to the OS- not just an afterthought.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Why not instead save some internet traffic and send a single email on how to install a 3rd party start menu button and disable the metro :)

G

To stop receiving the emails just hit the link that says "To set your contact preferences for Microsoft communications, click here." I copied that directly from the Personalize your Windows email that I received.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows 8 usage rate is worse that Vista over the same period of time, A LOT worse. This is a true indication of just how Windows 8 IS NOT being used. Quote whatever pre-installed PC sales numbers you like, but sales numbers mean nothing when people just remove the OS and install Windows 7.

Given how so few people even care about this thread, is more proof that Microsoft once again "got it all wrong" ... hopefully this time Ballmer will be asked to leave along with many of the executive branch. They clearly just don't get it and I've never seen a company hang on to executives as long as Microsoft when they continue to produce one failure after the next.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"Quote whatever pre-installed PC sales numbers you like, but sales numbers mean nothing when people just remove the OS and install Windows 7".

I am starting to hear more and more calls to tech shows by the PC "ignorant" who buy Win 8 pre-installed and are expecting a traditional OS. Their comments range from "what the hell is this?" to "how do I get rid of it".

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
"Windows 8 usage rate is worse that Vista over the same period of time, A LOT worse."
AGREE!
W8 betas reached 1/5 of the downloads of W7 beta.
W8 "sold" twice much as Vista in first days... but it is aiming a twice larger market than Vista, it was sold at 1/5 the cos of Vista and costs were 3 times Vista in marketing!
It is definitely doing far worse than Vista that was greatest MS disaster before October 26 2012.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]diddo[/nom]"Windows 8 usage rate is worse that Vista over the same period of time, A LOT worse."AGREE!W8 betas reached 1/5 of the downloads of W7 beta.W8 "sold" twice much as Vista in first days... but it is aiming a twice larger market than Vista, it was sold at 1/5 the cos of Vista and costs were 3 times Vista in marketing!It is definitely doing far worse than Vista that was greatest MS disaster before October 26 2012.[/citation]

I think it's worse than that as it was aiming at three markets. (Phone, tablet, Desktop) all with more or less the same OS.

On a tablet or a phone it should do fine if they don't have the problem the zune had in terms of not being "hip" or "catching on".

The desktop is where win8's it's biggest failure is tho, and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that it's pulling the whole OS down because of it.

I tryed using a win8 PC without a touchscreen at a store about a week ago for less than 5 mins and Metro just made no sense to me. It felt and looked like they just shoved some Xbox360 dashboard code and some random windows desktop code together.

I don't see a bright future for MS's future Desktop market down this path.

G

Simply I think people don't give a try to windows8.
I'm a professional developer and i have instaled windows 8 two weeks ago and to me is wonderful . i can go to traditional desktop to develop , and for the rest of things (email, social, etc...) I use de new interface that is very practical to use !!!!! , My wife that only use my ipad , has asked me to create a new user in my PC to use windows 8 !!!! because for her is a dream to use....
I think the problem is that some people don't like changes and like to stay fix in old technologies....

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Albertopm19[/nom]Simply I think people don't give a try to windows8.I'm a professional developer and i have instaled windows 8 two weeks ago and to me is wonderful . i can go to traditional desktop to develop , and for the rest of things (email, social, etc...) I use de new interface that is very practical to use !!!!! , My wife that only use my ipad , has asked me to create a new user in my PC to use windows 8 !!!! because for her is a dream to use....I think the problem is that some people don't like changes and like to stay fix in old technologies....[/citation]
I don't think its that people are just leery of change I think the change has to be for the better. In this case the new UI needed to be easier to use not more cumbersome...which is what it is for the vast majority. Its not that it can't be learned its that there seems to be no reward for learning it. You pay more money for an OS that has less to offer than that which it replaced.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
"Simply I think people don't give a try to windows8."
!!! Nice joke!!1!!
One years ago it was hilarious, 6 months ago was still a bit funny.
Now after the long beta stage and the huge 1,5 B$ marketing campaign it is just another way to say: Bob 8 is not relevant to anyone.

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Why do people still complain about metro? Just treat the start screen as a login screen, click desktop and never look back. This is on a desktop pc of course. Don't run any metro apps, and just use win8 like win7, but with all the added efficiency and lil perks (however small they may be).

Status
Not open for further replies.