Question Windows Apps Won't Obey Settings

Aug 13, 2024
I've been dealing with this hair-pulling behavior ever since my latest reinstall of Windows 11 that is absolutely driving me nuts!

For some reasons, certain Windows apps won't respect the state that I leave them in. The Photos app will not stay maximized after restart, no matter if I use the maximized button at the top right, or just manually resize the window to full screen. It always wants to default back to whatever it feels like. I've tried everything, even the old shift+close trick

Or like if I use the Snipping Tool to grab a screenshot, the window starts slowly creeping upwards toward the top of the screen at each new load. Meaning, it'll be in one spot on the middle of the screen at one use, and the next time I open it, it'll be slightly higher. Eventually, the toolbar menu is entirely cut off at the top of the screen! Why oh why...I will never understand this behavior.

I've already tried uninstalling both, and reinstalling via the Microsoft Store, but nothing works. Is this a sign something in my new Windows install is corrupt? It's not even a few weeks old, and has been happening from the start

Aug 13, 2024
Have you run SFC and DISM to make sure your Windows files are not corrupted?

Tried that suggestion. Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to the "The operation completed successfully" prompt.

Then ran sfc /scannow to both the "Verification 100% complete" and "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" prompts.