Question Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA)

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
I recently got the GE75 RTX 2080 laptop, it came with 2x8gb Ram from factory to my pleasant suprise.

I do have a potentially serious problem:
Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA)
PCI/PCIe Bus Errors

Regardless if the laptop is completely IDLE or if I'm doing something resource intensive there is approximately 1-2 errors each minute.

While gaming in apex legends gave 263 errors in 2h30min (1.75errors/minute).

The errors existed even when the laptop was in stock voltage, atm I have -100mV to combat heat.

7lptpvl.png

If you just got this, didn't change anything, and are constantly getting errors, I would take it back to where you got it and have them exchange it for another one. Should it be past that date, then contact the manufacturer. No new device should give you such problems.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
If you just got this, didn't change anything, and are constantly getting errors, I would take it back to where you got it and have them exchange it for another one. Should it be past that date, then contact the manufacturer. No new device should give you such problems.

the only problem is in hwinfo, I need to have this laptop with me on travel and dont have time to get a new laptop, otherwise the laptop is stable.

but I guess it is not a normal problem the pcie error thingy?

It sounds to me like there is a problem with the board. Which would mean the best options would be to either return it for an exchange, or again if past that or you can't do the exchange to have it repaired by the manufacturer.

Personally I would take the exchange option if at all possible as unless it is a problem with all the boards for that device, it would likely be resolved.

The choice is yours.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the board. Which would mean the best options would be to either return it for an exchange, or again if past that or you can't do the exchange to have it repaired by the manufacturer.

Personally I would take the exchange option if at all possible as unless it is a problem with all the boards for that device, it would likely be resolved.

The choice is yours.

So it might be the motherboard in the laptop that has some problem?

As I said the laptop is otherwise working well just that hwinfo sensors in the bottom claim errors.

I actually did reinstall windows and drivers to remove any unnecessary programs, but I might have to do another reinstall and see if the errors disappear.

I really need a laptop during my travel so I propably will RMA this laptop after the travel as it has warranty.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
It is, after all, your choice as it is your device. :) Do let us know what transpires.

I did factory reset windows 10 from MSI factory image, now with more programs installed I'm getting even more errors it seems like, after 4min 12 errors, so 3errors/minute in average.

I'll keep playing Apex Legends and seeing if it is stable otherwise.

Then I would really consider what I said. You shouldn't get such errors. You can try starting up in "Safe Mode" And see if you get errors there. You won't be able to use most programs though. No errors there would mean something 'software' related, where as errors from in there would likely be 'hardware' related.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
Then I would really consider what I said. You shouldn't get such errors. You can try starting up in "Safe Mode" And see if you get errors there. You won't be able to use most programs though. No errors there would mean something 'software' related, where as errors from in there would likely be 'hardware' related.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

I booted into safe mode on Windows 10, unfortunately HWinfo program can no start in safe mode :(

would there be some other program that can show me these errors?

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
I am a tad confused. Perhaps I misread. So you aren't getting the errors from Windows itself, but from the other program? That is a very different thing.

Are then the only errors within the program and nothing from Windows itself?

This is correct, I can only see the errors in HWinfo, the errors is steady around 1-2errors/minute as in the screenshot in my first post.

I think the laptop is working otherwise well, although I have not tested it too much yet.

And have you gotten any errors in windows itself? Or tried different monitoring software to see if you still get the same errors? Due to where you are getting them, it is totally possible it is the software. If that is the case, it could just be a conflict with the software.

However, if they are genuine errors, then we are back to my original reply. Either exchanging it or getting it repaired through the manufacturer.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
And have you gotten any errors in windows itself? Or tried different monitoring software to see if you still get the same errors? Due to where you are getting them, it is totally possible it is the software. If that is the case, it could just be a conflict with the software.

However, if they are genuine errors, then we are back to my original reply. Either exchanging it or getting it repaired through the manufacturer.

I have not seen errors in windows itself, although I'm not sure where in windows I should be looking for errors.

I factory reset windows using MSI windows image and the hwinfo errors still exist.

To see if the errors are with other software aswell which software should I use to error check?

would any of the software on this site work?
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5245-hwinfo64/similar/

Edit---> I installed Aida64, not sure where there the errors would be displayed but I did run 5min stability test everything selected besides local disk did not give any error.

I did also run 2min stability test with local disk included and no errors.

Not sure if Aida64 is good software to see these errors and where I would be able to see pcie bus errors?

Last edited:
Errors in Windows usually pop up right on the screen, or you get the blue screen of death with the error message.

Windows actually has a built in way to check things call "Performance Monitor". Just search for it on your computer and then load it when it comes up in the search list.

Once in it go to "Reports".. then "System"... then "System Diagnostics". It will give you multiple checks for your system.

Personally I like that and also a program called "CPU-Z".

If those show nothing wrong, and windows isn't giving you errors itself, then that other program is your problem.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
Errors in Windows usually pop up right on the screen, or you get the blue screen of death with the error message.

Windows actually has a built in way to check things call "Performance Monitor". Just search for it on your computer and then load it when it comes up in the search list.

Once in it go to "Reports".. then "System"... then "System Diagnostics". It will give you multiple checks for your system.

Personally I like that and also a program called "CPU-Z".

If those show nothing wrong, and windows isn't giving you errors itself, then that other program is your problem.

I opened Performance Monitor and went into "Report" --> "System" --> "System Diagnostics" but it just opens a empty space with the text: "There are no items to show in this view"

I installed CPU-Z but not sure where I can see the errors in that program.

I did also install CPUID Hardware monitor PRO which is made by same software company as CPU-Z but even in CPUID Hardware monitor PRO I do not know where to look for the errors.

Edit--> Finally I found another application that can see the error.
in Windows 10 there is a built in program called "Event Viewer"

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1D:0x6
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0xA336
Class Code: 0x30400

The details view of this entry contains further information.

SK711si.png

Last edited:
Hmm so the system is showing errors itself. OK.

I know you said you updated drivers, however I am wondering if you did update the chipset and intel management drivers? If not, or if not certain, I would suggest going to the MSI site and their Downloads. Locate the right ones for your device then download and install them. See if this resolves it.

fifi93

Great
Apr 27, 2019
Are you overclocking anything?
I so didn't think of that. Then again I never do that so maybe that is why. :)

I have only been undervolting to decrease noise volume but I even recovered the MSI windows factory image with no undervolt and the errors still existed.

But I have actually made some progress in pinpointing the problem, when booting in safemode there are no errors.

When booting normally but with ethernet cable unplugged there is only 1 error ID17 just as windows loads and after that no errors, however if I plug in ethernet cable the errors come back 1-2errors/minute.

multiple ppl with laptops same problem

Even more ppl with same ID 17 problem this time on HP & Asus Laptops

It seems to be a problem that has to do with either my Killer ethernet gigabit or Killer Wifi adapter or potentially both, the error complains about PCI/PCIe.