Windows Phone 7's Upgrade to WP8 Apollo Now Unclear

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
EDIT: By carrier's job, not Google, I meant that it is the carrier's job to use the updates that Google already supplied. If the carriers wanted to, they could update all of the Androids to the highest version that their hardware can handle reasonably.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Amit34590[/nom]I would appreciated if Microsoft can continue the updating policy that it has shown so far.I choose windows only because they are upgradable and stay current and effective.Upgrades are necessary and important.[/citation]
NO.
Holly Crapp are there STILL people who believe THAT!!!

G

Sounds Like??? Should be RUMORS has it cause one person heard and thinks I can run with this, com on!!

G

I bought my focus in november 2010. I think I've got a good run on it and have no problem buying a new phone when windows phone 8 comes out. besides, considering all the misinfo from companies themselves, I would not be surprised if we find out the newer phones can be upgraded if they have decent specs.

G

If Microsoft is really this dumb they are dooming their platform already. Imagine all those people that spend 500$ bucks on their unlocked phones or on a 2 year contract?

If they find out they will not be upgraded to Apollo, which was probably the only reason they went with WP7, to be able to be on the platform of the future for Windows, they are seriously going to get mad. I mean, really mad to the point they will never, ever again come back to Windows Phone no matter how great it will be in 2020.

This means that Microsoft 2% market share in the phone will drop to 0.1%, they will basically have to start from scratch with Apollo. All this people that like their Windows phone which are lacking in serious features like no VPN, no teetering, etc only went this route because they thought its going to be the next thing and now they find out its was only a temporary OS until the real OS was out.

Also the Metro thing works fine and nice on a tablet and phone but it seriously sucks in a PC for work. If Microsoft dares to actually kill their only market share that is using Metro this will actually kill Windows8 and Windows Phone all together because this people will become MS haters once betrayed.

G

This is the most annoying news I have heard. I have been through a lot of phones in my years. I have never really liked Android, I have been ok with iPhone but didn't like 3G or 3GS and the 4 and 4S are too expensive for me. So I purchased a HTC HD7 as I have been with Microsoft since Windows 3.1, all the way up to Windows 7, from Xbox to 360. The Windows Phone appealed to me and have to admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed it, but if it doesn't get updated to Windows 8 I will switch to iPhone, as having a Windows 7.5 phone I am not willing to upgrade to a new model.

As for the Lumia update, this will have something to do with Stephen Elop, as I am sure him and Balmer have a relationship going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.