Windows Phone 8 OS, I can't find a real antivirus/anti-malware app

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I keep looking for an AV app for my Windows Phone, but the ones I find are either just animations that do nothing or seem sketchy.

I know they say WP8 is secure, but I would rather be proactive in safeguarding my phone, and not get caught with my pants down. They said iOS was 'secure', and we know how that turned out.

Solution
You Don't need anti-virus for Windows Phone. The Windows Phone operating system of your Lumia can only be changed by over-the-air updates from Mircrosoft which come from secure servers direct to your phone or during a repair process. There is no way that code from any other source can get into the phone's core operating system. Furthermore, any app that you install has it's own secure area of memory where it and its data are stored. This "sandboxed" memory cannot be accessed by any other apps, and apps also cannot make changes to the OS, so your Lumia device is well protected against the threat of viruses.

Finally there is no such software for windows phone 8.

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
You Don't need anti-virus for Windows Phone. The Windows Phone operating system of your Lumia can only be changed by over-the-air updates from Mircrosoft which come from secure servers direct to your phone or during a repair process. There is no way that code from any other source can get into the phone's core operating system. Furthermore, any app that you install has it's own secure area of memory where it and its data are stored. This "sandboxed" memory cannot be accessed by any other apps, and apps also cannot make changes to the OS, so your Lumia device is well protected against the threat of viruses.

Finally there is no such software for windows phone 8.

Solution

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for the info.

narendra07

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
can not be 100% true as far as my work since last 10 years on various security solutions especially sandboxing (real-time) and inprivate filtering or incognito browsing (non-real-time)
part 1
Just consider a case
A person uses UC browser and downloads a malicious file on its SD card then sandboxing will not delete this file without user's permission.
Even if then your logic is not perfectly correct because please check the Nokia' official announcement about Nokia lumia 630 HERE

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia630/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=S-HARMFUL-CONTENT

where point no.4 says that

"Install antivirus and other security software on your device and any connected computer. Only use one antivirus app at a time. Using more may affect performance and operation of the device and/or computer"

Part 2

on some of the forums folllowing are the points
1)you have an operating system that cannot be overwritten by an external program, and also nothing can be installed without your knowledge, so you are quite safe from viruses
2) Lumia phones can only get apps from the Windows Phone Store, which means that everything you install has been checked before we allowed it to be published, and this is why it is the most secure platform on the market.

This is a perfect example of intellectual bankruptcy because here, this person is completely forgetting the interaction of his Lumia device with the whole, huge sea of WWW i.e. internet using any web browser

But still i can not answer one fact of yours
"Finally there is no such software for windows phone 8."

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

At your link see below many peoples have voted as 'No' (however majority said yes, maybe they noobs).
Nokia just announced same article for almost all of their devices. Go to any device (non windows) and you will see same content. Example:
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/asha501/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=S-HARMFUL-CONTENT

For Asha 501 same article is written, they wrote same for that windows phone just to save time and general discription that might be usefull for all phones. (Nokia saved their time only.)

Virus usually effect system by affecting its files, but its file are secured and cannot be accessed. Everything is run on sandbox memory, virus/malicious apps can not access nor infect them.
Go and check following page, they havent developed any antivirus for lumia phones:
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/apps/lumia-apps/
Hope I answered your question.