Windows Phone Overtaking iOS By 2015, Claims Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It's far more efficient to divide a system up into distinct, clean, separate user interface layers, which can also take advantage of the key differences between the systems, and the necessary tweaks which are required for it to function properly on a phone, as compared to a desktop, for example. Anyone who actually develops would know this.[/citation]

And what do you think win8 and wp8 will do? Ever heard of Metro for instance? It is designed to bridge the pc and phone gui's and ms is seeing the potential there. As a developer i am sure you know those things unless you have live under a rock the past 2-3 years? If you can't see a possible future there then the word Rom comes into mind.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Windows Phone Overtaking iOS By 2015, Claims Report

Apple deceitful conduct marked by its promotion of locked-down drm infested overpriced hardware, and the peddling of closed standards designed to defraud and jail its gullible fanbase, has helped advanced the view of Windows and Google as beacons of freedom to be supported by those fighting for the survival of open technology.

It is thus not surprising at all to read that iOS will be overtaken by Windows in the near future. I for one went from hating Microsoft and Windows to actually promoting them after witnessing Apple's nefarious conduct marked by incessant patent trolling and deceitfulness designed to jail and openly defraud its clueless happy go lucky supporters.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The Zune was not better than the iPod at all, and still isn't (it came much later on and was widely reviewed to be worse than the iPod)Anyone with a brain can use drag and drop interface to populate their iPod with music - file management is no issue whatsoever, same with iPhone (even the old ones)Windows Phones offer very little right now, massive lack of apps and slow hardware, and no unique selling points.Being able to use 'real applications' is actually not an advantage at all. It's far better to use an application which was designed for phone/tablet consumption.All that stuff like playlists you can already do on iPhone or iPad, which can link to your PC through various apps to do all kinds of things. If you want a second monitor, simply buy one, a 10 inch one would cost less than $50. Tablets and phones are intended to be used when you aren't next to a computer.[/citation]

yea, file management is not an issue... than you upgrade the os, it forces a full format, and noting is restored because something went wrong with the sync, and you lose all contact info.

happened with my moms ipod touch.... call me crazy, but i prefer manually backing up data and manually reinstalling/dumping the data. i dont trust programs to back everything up right... i never have and never will.

slow? apparently you missed where they bet money, and only 3 of the people got 100$s i call that fairly fast.

and no apps, well no crap, wait till x86 (if it works on windows 8 it works on the tablet or phone version) and the arm ports. and 99% of the apps are useless to boot, at least thats what i see on my moms ipad and ipod touch.

yea, so much better... o whats this, a keyboard cover much like the ipads magnetic one... now you dont need a laptop for word and can do reasonable amounts of work on a device that is in the ultra book form factor... and whats this... a really thin mouse that can pop out? they may or may not be anounced right now, but they will be comeing.

and you really dont get it do you... you charge these in usb as it stands currently, why not have it act as a monitor too if its going ot sit right next to you...

you have to realise all these little features add up, and the cooler and more useless the feature really is, but better you can market them and sell more.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I am a WP7 user, but I don't think this is going to happen. I DO think Android is going suffer more loss of market share, but I think in 3-4 WP7 will have about 15-20% market share, iOS will remain in second place with about 30%, and Android about 35-40%. The wildcard is Blackberry in 4th place, and how that shakes out.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Yeah right...

Unless someone can find a vaccine for the zombies (aka apple addicts), it doesn't even matter if Apple puts out steaming piles of crap and MS puts out the best phones around. They zoning off the coolaid..

G

It could happen. But time will tell. Personally, I don't think WP7 is very far behind IOS/Android, they all have strong and weak points.

I think MS's roadmap of unifying pcs,laptops,xbox,phone, kinect etc is pretty solid and appealing. I have no idea where IOS/Android are headed.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]i was a Nokia fan, but i don't belive that nokia will survive in smartphone area thill 2015. Windows phone is at 1.4% marketshare, so this report is a joke.[/citation]

I would like to see this happen. I too was a Nokia fan. My HTC Motzart WP7 was my first non Nokia phone. I loved the strong, sturdy Nokia phones and i also like the dynamic, tiled layout of WP7. I still would like to see better bluetooth use and Micro SD card slots in future WP7 units.

Microsoft have a great product which seems to be getting better. I do want to see better support. I cant recall the last time I saw a WP7 phone being advertised locally. People cant give it a try, if there are none around to sample.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Wow, invest in MS now! Have you looked at their ten year chart, this is a company that's going places, as in sideways.
You know: It doesn't matter if apple really does just make an iCrapper, as long as people want it and pay for it. MS is clearly paying for yet another windows phone advertising campaign. (Think hard now this isn't their first time at this cell phone rodeo.)
Flush.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Francis Sideco of that marketing company = idiot.

The Lumina 900 is supposed to the ONLY phone for the next 3 years to kick the iPhone in the nuts?! First, the L900 is too big and its resolution is crap by 2012 standards... Yep, the screen is SOOO 2010.

The L800 is a better size, especially with its crap resolution. I hope when my contract is up for me to get another FREE phone, it'll be an L810-820 (whatever) with a higher resolution screen. Don't care much about 4GLTE - with these damn data-caps and over-charged, I use the 3G/internet as little as possible.

MS can get a big chunk of the Phone market because of the Metro interface of WIndows8 on desktops, tablets and phones that work identical and should be able to communicate... besides running the same software.

Nokia had better get their ACT together and have a 720P phone out in the next 3~6 months or they will be left in the dust.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hmm, let's talk about this again in 2015, shall we? Otherwise, this is like building castles on sand... Oh, wait, it's actually worse...

G

I like my Windows phone, and compared to the iPhone it holds its own in fluid interaction and well thought out design. But I doubt it will win over Apple in the end. I do think it will gain some market share away but not from Apple. More likely Android will take more of a hit. I think corporate America may find the Windows phone more to their liking.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Apple deceitful conduct marked by its promotion of locked-down drm infested overpriced hardware, and the peddling of closed standards designed to defraud and jail its gullible fanbase, has helped advanced the view of Windows and Google as beacons of freedom to be supported by those fighting for the survival of open technology.It is thus not surprising at all to read that iOS will be overtaken by Windows in the near future. I for one went from hating Microsoft and Windows to actually promoting them after witnessing Apple's nefarious conduct marked by incessant patent trolling and deceitfulness designed to jail and openly defraud its clueless happy go lucky supporters.[/citation]

You my friend are a certified nutcase. It is a phone for goodness sakes.

No one was talking about this crap went Blackberry was the only semi-smart phone in town. What about when Palm had the Treo, non of this nonsense about freedom, designed to jail........wtf are you talking about bro. What are you, the Braveheart for gadgets or something?

It is a freaken phone. People buy what they like and most could care less about 90% the stuff people talk about in these posts. They just want a reliable phone, with a great selection of apps, that works and has accessible customer service that will replace the thing if there is a problem. There is a reason why there is not mass adoption of Android in a corporate setting. Blackberry's, IPhones and Windows Mobile and soon Windows Phone 7 don't have that problem and the reason is because you can lock it down to secure company data. Which also applies to sensitive personal data. The same openess/Freedom (again wtf) you talk about is the same thing that is slowing it's adoption and leaving room for other solutions.

I personally am extremely well informed, I am very technical and happen to prefer the IPhone although there are things that I like about Andriod as well and Windows Phone 7 looks like a great OS as well and I plan to give it a shot in the near future.

I understand and respect passion but some of the stuff people say about these devices is right out of a comic book.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
MS would be wise to flood the low-end non-contract market... Android is OK, but I would feel more comfortable with a more streamlined software package that MS seems to be providing...

TBH, since switching to Android last month, I find I am missing the good features of my BlackBerry... If only they had BBs that were on the no contract service that were a bit more beefy than the Curve or the Style... But so far, they do not...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I frankly do not see Microsoft overtaking IOS. It is wishful thinking at best and the reason is mindshare. They just have not had a relevant product in this space for a long time. People have to be willing to give them another shot and that will only happen if 1 they have broad corporate adoption, they spend a good amount of money on marketing, and 3 people actually get tired of their other options enough to abandon their app and content purchases.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While any predictions like this have to be taken with a mountain of salt, I do wish M$ the best. My cellphone recently died and I had to buy a new one (Galaxy Nexus). I probably would have picked up a Lumia 900 if it was actually out. If I didn't need a phone right away I probably would have waited for one. Android is awesome, but I'd like to see what M$ can bring to the table.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]While any predictions like this have to be taken with a mountain of salt, I do wish M$ the best. My cellphone recently died and I had to buy a new one (Galaxy Nexus). I probably would have picked up a Lumia 900 if it was actually out. If I didn't need a phone right away I probably would have waited for one. Android is awesome, but I'd like to see what M$ can bring to the table.[/citation]

I am due for a replacement phone soon as well and will give MS/Nokia's new offering a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.