Windows Start up problem

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Y450, 1 weeks ago I have a problem "BOOTMGR is missing..". I have finally downloaded the ISO and was able to fix the problem.

But just 2 days later, I turned on my laptop and there was nothing, except the white screen (the evening before everything was still fine). I have tried to to switch it on and off several times but everything was completely gone. I have tried to press the power button but completely nothing, no light, nothing at all..

So I gave up and gave it a try on the day later. Now I could press the power button and there was light back, the start up started with a message "Windows Boot Manager" and follow by details message (I can't remember the exact words) but some thing like "..a hardware or software change is the cause...and it says what I should do is: 1. put the disc in and restart my computer; 2. Repair your computer; 3. Run Start up repair...". I did the same as instruction but when the screen shows "starting windows..Microsoft Corporation", it starts with the very noisy sound and I could only stop this by pressing the power button in order to turn it off, I have tried many times but it's still the same problem. Til now, the problem is still not fixed yet. Could anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance,
Chuc

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Chuc,

I would suggest you to try to reinstall the windows, if it fails. You can try to boot the computer using a USB thumbdrive, you can get the necessary software from ubuntu website(or install using a Window image if you have), load into bios menu and change the boot priority to boot from USB. Try to boot into the computer using this method.

I personally feels that there may be a problem with either the hard drive or the RAM, did you drop it or did anything to it?

Cheers,
Holl0w :)

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Hello Holl0w,

Thanks for the advice! Can you please tell me what the USB thumdrive is about? Is this the USB, which stores windows installation? I also don't know what bios is :p Would you mind telling me more details..

One thing for sure is that I didn't drop it as I love it more than my boyfriend :D but did something..yes and I don't remember what I did actually (you know.. ladies.. :), it was basically reboot and followed the instruction from the laptop.

Cheers,
Chuc

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Chuc,

Regarding the usb thumbdrive its simply means booting into your computer using your thumbdrive instead of the hard drive itself, do refer to the ubuntu website http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download and follow the instruction to install into your thumbdrive.

Bios refers to Basic input and output system, whenever you on your computer,
you should be able to see text like press delete / F2 (differ from machine to machine) to get into bios screen. After you got into the Bios screen, there should be an option for you to change the boot priority and after you change the first priority to USB stick you should be able to boot into your computer using ubuntu.

Cheers,

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi holl0w,

Thank you very much for your help and the explanation! Before i give it a try, could you please tell me what I should check in Bios to make sure that everything is correctly?

Cheers,
Chuc :)

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Not to be mean Chuc but I fear this sounds like it may be above your ability. The Bios is a basic system control setup screen that prioritizes what boots in what order, when things load into memory, and many other tasks. Bios can be tricky to work on if you don't know what you are doing and playing with random settings does not often have the desired "good" effect. If you know someone who is very technically inclined or has experience with computers you may want to ask them to show you how to work on it.

Before you mess around with the BIOS or trying to get your existing hardware to boot, you need to check on the noise. What you are doing may be like painting over a hole in the street, you get it all pretty but soon as you walk there, you fall in anyway. Check noise first, rule out a failing hard drive or fan, and then try to get Windows working again.

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

hello Evilavatar,

Thanks for warning me ;) I could imagine what you are talking about. So, I'd better stop messing up now and might bring it to Lenovo's customer service as I don't know anyone who is very technically here in Germany, I just moved here. :??:

Anyway, it's nice of you to let me know!

Thank you,
Chuc

Chuc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

hi hang the 9,

Thanks for the advice!

Chuc

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Chuc,

The best option is of course to send in your laptop to their service center to repair if you are unsure of what to. Good luck and I hope that you got your laptop back soon.:)

Best regards,

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Chuc,

For a suggestion on finding technical help if you are close to Rammstein (spelling?) air base you can find some pretty savvy computer geeks in the officers clubs and off base bars that might take a look for the cost of a round of beers. Worth a shot if you are close and if they can't fix it worst you are out is a beer and they may be able to fix something for you later.