Windows stuck on fixing ssd

Oct 15, 2020
I have a computer running windows 10 and about 2 days ago I ran into an issue where I was trying to launch a game stored on my ssd (samsung 2 terabyte ssd) and it wouldn't load. I opened task manager and saw the launcher for the game was open in the background, so I stopped it in task manager and tried to launch it again. I had issues like this before with other programs and doing this usually solved the problem. It continued to not load, so I tried to restart my pc. It was taking much longer than usual to restart, so I turned the computer off with the power button. After that, the screen showed the windows logo and said fixing (f:) stage 1 5% (f: is my ssd by the way).It also said the estimated time was 8 minutes, then it went up to 25 hours and kept going up while the percentage stayed the same. I had looked online to see if other people had run into this issue, and all I could find were people whose computers said they were stuck fixing c: and I thought those solutions might work. When people responded to those posts, they said not to let the computer scan and try to fix the problem. I was able to get to the login screen once, and logged in, but didn't try to launch anything on the ssd (I only store games on my ssd, everything else in on my c drive). I was waiting for someone I know to help me with figuring out what the problem was, but they're incredibly busy right now and won't be able to help me soon. I shut off my computer after I was able to log on 2 days ago, and now I can't get back on because both of the keyboards I have won't start working until I get to the windows login screen, and I need to be able to press a key on the keyboard before I get to the login screen. I don't know how I was able to do it 2 days ago, I think I got to a screen that told me to restart my computer and the keyboard worked after doing that, but now neither keyboard will work before getting to the login screen. I'm not really sure what I can do to fix it right now, and I'm not very knowledgeable on a lot of computer stuff. I saw one website that said to remove the SATA data cable and launch the computer in bios, and while I found the cable, I'm unable to launch the computer in bios because my keyboards won't work until I get to the login screen, so I didn't bother with that. Although I would prefer not to have to wipe everything off the ssd, if it's the only way it'll work again, I can do it, I'd just have to spend time redownloading everything. Right now I have no clue what to do and I don't know if I can even fix my pc myself. I would appreciate any help or advice people have to help me with this.

Oct 15, 2020
is the ssd internal or external? Keyboard wire or wireless? What computer model?
  1. the ssd is internal
  2. the keyboards are both wired
  3. my brother built my pc, I'm not sure about all the specs, but I do have manuals for some parts
motherboard: gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
graphics card: msi gtx 970
power supply : evga GQ series 605w
intel core i5 processor
I also know I have 8 gigs of ram
The computer is about 4.5 years old, and the ssd itself is about 5.5 years old. The ssd belonged to my brother and he gave it to me about 10 months ago I believe.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
thanks for the specs. It's not what I thought it was going to be. do you have quick(or fast) boot enable? if so, that could be the reason your keyboards are not working until you get to the os. with the computer off, try press and hold the power button until it beeps.

also, the ssd drive could be going bad, try running a chkdsk on it.

Oct 15, 2020
thanks for the specs. It's not what I thought it was going to be. do you have quick(or fast) boot enable? if so, that could be the reason your keyboards are not working until you get to the os. with the computer off, try press and hold the power button until it beeps.

also, the ssd drive could be going bad, try running a chkdsk on it.
unfortunately it appears that I can't even enable quick boot. When I press and hold the power button like you said, the pc turns on, then as I keep holding the button it turns off. I also tried a third keyboard that I borrowed from someone and that didn't make a difference.

Oct 15, 2020
A bit of an update, when I turned on my pc, I had the option of looking at advanced options. I was able to open a command prompt and run a chkdsk. I simply typed chkdsk f. I'm a bit confused with how it works so I didn't try anything else. When I ran the command, it scanned my f drive and near the end it says "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems" At the very end of the lines of text, there is one line that says "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6" I'm not sure if that is important, but I thought I'd add it anyways. I also have not tried unplugging and plugging back in the ssd. I realize this is the go to solution for a lot of problems, but I was unsure if it would further complicate the problem. As of right now I am still unable to access most of the stuff on my computer and can only look at advanced options when I start up.

Oct 15, 2020
So I've had my brother, the one who built my pc, take a look at it and I've found the problem. The drive isn't an ssd like I originally thought. That was a mistake on my part. It's simply a hard drive, and it looks like it's at the end of it's life. It may be able to be repaired, but I'm not sure as of right now. For now, I at least know what the problem was and I'm able to use my computer.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
there are plenty of options what can test your drive.

you can go to the harddrives manufacturers website and download a harddrive diagnostic utility and it will also check and possibly fix your drive.

if you do not know the manufacturer, you can use seatools from seagates site and it will also check the drive, may not fix it though, depending on the manufacturer.

you can go to the bios and see if it has a SMART test for drives and run the test from there. Finally there is a free utility called hddscan that will test the drive.