Windows Whistler

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've seen several articles on this.
But they come out with some new anti-piracy thing every couple of months. And you know what, less than a week after they come out with it, some one on the internet has a way around it.
I expect that someone will just come up with a simple key generator that makes unique keys for Whistler depending on what name you put in.

There are people out on the internet that can just do really amazing stuff.

Atman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would think that hardware manufacturers would have something to say in this. I don't presume to understand how these codes are generated, but, if it is from a combo of parts/bios that helps generate the unique ID, then that could/would prevent people from upgrading their machines wouldn't you think?
So, if that were the case, then companies like Asus, Abit, Guillemot, and others would soon be out of business if people could not purchase upgrade parts without losing their whistler or office programs. I dunno....I use windows but really cannot stand microsoft the company.
Have Fun
Atman

so much for freedom of choice...thanks to big brother bill

G

Office has something similar, you have to register office 2000 or it will only run 50 times before shutting down, as you say, I think I will go to beos or Linux, aint competition grand, Microsoft will be like the phone company over here, theyve been screwing us for years, now that there is some competition, they are trying to convince us that they love us, and we should stay with them, But it isnt going to happen.

So long and thanks for all the fish

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The thing that gets me about all these anti-piracy schemes is the fact that MicroSoft, the Recording Industry, etc. are raking in the dough. It would be one thing if they were struggling to stay afloat, but they're making billions. They're just greedy and can't stand the fact that someone somewhere may be ripping them off for a few bucks.

Boo hoo, we only made 20 billion last year. If we had stopped all of the piracy, we would have made 23 billion.

And we're supposed to feel sorry for them?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

They always say they have a obligation to thier shareholders to maximise thier returns