Wiped drive want to install os but get errors

danapendarvis

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have an Acer Aspire 5735z. I had windows Vista running on it and I got a virus that messed up my recovery files. So I wiped my Hard drive using UBCD From Usb Flash Drive. I have tried to install Windows xp back on my drive with no luck. Ever time I tried it would go to a blue screen and give me an error. I even tried to make an iso of the disk and install from my Flash drive. Still no luck. I would not like it if I have to get rid on my laptop but I think the hdd is fried. Took to a friend and they could not get it to install either and they repair pcs all the time. Can some one help me?

G

Replacing the hard drive should not be too difficult or expensive -- I'd stick to the same size as at present to avoid possible compatibility issues -- if you want to install a bigger one I would consult Acer first.

danapendarvis

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
The Error I get is
Stop:eek:xoooooo7B(0xF78E2640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
I would like to try not to spend any money if at all possible. Is there a way to fix it with out having to get a new 160gig drive.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Some manufacturers can send you a Recovery disk for your system for a fee. With that you could reinstall the OS that came with that particular model.
Try contacting the manufacturer and see if they can do that for you. I have a friend that had the same problem and HP sent him a replacement for about 30 bucks, if I remember correctly.

danapendarvis

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Thank you all for the info It will greatly help. Do you think I might need to rewipe the drive again since it is giving me an error every time I try to run any disk in it. I even tried to run the recovery disks that came with my desk top and got the same error as before. I will ask my computer repairfriend to try to slip stream a disk for me because I have none at the moment. Got to go to Walmart and buy some I guess. Will the slipstreaming work on a dvdr as I still have a few of them left.

danapendarvis

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Thank you for your help. All of you have given me great answers. I takled to tech repairperson ( my Sister). She said that she tried to slipstream the disk and all she could get out of it was to partition the drive. It would go no futher. I am going to try to burn an iso to my flash drive as a bootable drive and see if I can run the files from it. I do have a iso of the Acer vista recovery disk that I downloaded. I know that when I first wiped my drive I had to do the bootable iso from my flash drive as my pc would not read the disk and was giving me an error ever time. So I gues I will try it again.

deecrutch

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
Dang, this is weird. I am having pretty much the same problem with almost exactly the same model of system, Acer Aspire 5735 (no z on mine though). I just made a topic about it here.

Anyway, I tried some of the same things that danapendarvis did, minus the flash drive stuff. I went to reinstall Vista, and when I saw 2 partitions, I deleted both of them, for some idiotic reason, and now Vista doesn't see a hard drive there at all. There's a button there 'Load Drivers', but I have no clue as to which drivers. I downloaed the 5735 chipset drivers from Acer and put them on a cd, but when I tried to load those drivers, none of them worked, and now I'm stuck.

I either need a driver that will let Vista see the hard drive again, or I need to repartiton or undelete the old partitions. I should also say that I tried to install XP after I couldnt' get Vista to install, and my XP did the same thing as danapendarvis's. It bluescreened before it got to the part where I could repartition the drive. And mine is SP3, btw.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The problem is most probably due to the fact that your BIOS is set to use the HD in AHCI mode.

XP doesnt support it without using the F6 option when installing and to have the correct drivers on floppy.

Option A: Change the BIOS setting

Option B: make the floppy disk with the correct drivers

Option 3: Install Vista or W7

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
The version of Windows XP, you are attempting to install, is missing the device driver that the computer boot controller needs. Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is needed to start your computer.

If you really want to use Windows XP you should download all of the Windows XP device drivers (i.e. chipset, AHCI, audio, bluetooth, camera, card reader, LAN, modem, touchpad, VGA, and wireless LAN) for the Aspire 5735Z from Acer's Service and Support website and slipstream them into a Service Pack 2 or later XP install image.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Yes, run killdisk from a bootable disc, then try to install vista on it again. Killdisk will erase any partitiong info, rendering the HDD in a factory-clean state.

danapendarvis

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have since run fdisk several times and now it is seeing the drive but still will not let me install anything on the dang thing. also it is now trying to load from cd (got it set for that) but it will try "pre-boot execution files" and then stop and tell me "no media drive found check cable". I have had to let it sit for right now as it is giving me headaches trying to fix it. Do I need to open it up and make sure all the cables are fastened tightly? this is just so crazy. I have tried to unstall a xp disk no luck, tried to use a downloaded iso of the vista recovery disk no luck, I even tried the recovery disk that goes with my emachines desk top no luck. the emachines recovery disk tried to load but and got as far as loading recovery files then it gave me an error that "no media device found check cable."

TRENDING THREADS