Wired laptop internet speed higher than PC wired connection?

EDDIEB33

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
So I am a bit confused about my PC internet speeds. They have been fine for a long time but lately they drop and come back. I should get around 70 mbps, but lately it goes down to more like 30, and sometimes even 12, or 4 mbps at times... I was convinced it was comcast, but had a tech come out and said it was my hardware since my speedtest from my phone produced about 70 mbps. I then thought it was my apple router. So I recently had bought a new ASUS router. I hooked that up, and then 70 mbps came back. Though just for a short time. Last night same effects as the other router. Would go down to 30, 12 and lower at times. So I hooked up my laptop straight to my modem avoiding the routers and I got like 80 mbps. So I am assuming its issues with my PC. I updated the realtek network driver last night, but still slow issues.

What are my options to speed up my internet without installing a new PC card? Can I buy a network adapter attached by USB? Would appreciate any help on this issue since its driving me nuts and totally thought it was comcast, but for once it was not...

EDDIEB33

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
The laptops 80 does seem consistent. Will try it again tonight. I hooked the laptop up right after I was getting like 12 mbps on my PC. I was using ookla speedtest. I was using an ethernet adapter to my laptop. Can I just use one of those hooked up to my PC and get the same speeds. My friend built my home theater PC so I don't know much about the network cards and such. But it used to be a constant rate. Wireless over my phone is constant rate. So I think its the PC.