Wireless Connection not available for a Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 running Windows 7 PRO 64-bit.

Handyman6638

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I have searched the Dell Support page for all the drivers for my Inspiron 14R N4110, but cannot find a driver for the Wireless functionality on my laptop. (the hard drive failed, and has been replaced.)
I re-installed my Windows 7 PRO 64-bit OS,and updated Windows. Originally it was working with an Intel Centrino (R) Wireless N + WiMAX 6150 driver... but I have tried downloading that and it doesn't work. The only functionality that works with THAT driver is the Bluetooth portion that tries to connect to a WiMAX connection... not my router. (I have two other HP laptops that connect normally to this same router.) I WAS able to find a Network Driver that enable me to connect via ethernet cable, but the wireless is still not working. Additionally, there are still 3 problems that I have not been able to find drivers for: 1. Network Controller 2. PCI Simple Communications Controller and 3. SM Bus Controller. Logic tells me they are interconected, but again, I cannot find any drivers for them.

I even updated the BIOS to AO7, but that had no effect. Not sure if I should keep going to A12.

I looked up many sites that recommend going to Device Manager and enabling the adapter, but if it's not even installed you never see it. Some even say try the Windows key +i... or F2... or other simplistic ideas.. but none of those work either... because the drive does NOT appear to be installed. I will gladly give up any additional info if anyone can tell me where to find the correct drivers for this old laptop. I will say I have never had problems like this for any of my HP laptops...

Solution
If you do not have an unknown device in Device Manger or the wireless card installed under another name, then you could have disable the WiFi in the BIOS or the chip is bad. An unknown WiFi driver will show up as "Unknown Network Device" or something similar in Device Manager.
If you do not have an unknown device in Device Manger or the wireless card installed under another name, then you could have disable the WiFi in the BIOS or the chip is bad. An unknown WiFi driver will show up as "Unknown Network Device" or something similar in Device Manager.

Solution