Wireless Cork Mouse Recharges As You Use It

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Nice system, i like it finally a wireless mouse i would buy, changing batteries sux.
Although I don't get it, why cork?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
1 watt is one watt multiplied by How many mice in the world...???

Add this to all wired mice too to save power - saving many millions of watts worldwide every day :D

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Then add some kinda power generating KB's and all the worldwide office drones can help save the environment a little more too LOL

rpg89

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]1 watt is one watt multiplied by How many mice in the world...???Add this to all wired mice too to save power - saving many millions of watts worldwide every day[/citation]

You wouldn't save watts, but rather watt hours. But I agree with what you meant to say - small changes in power use over many people means a great reduction overall.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dman157[/nom]OMG I just saved 1 watts of my computer power by not using a mouse that needs its own power! JK JK.But in the end this is good. I'm tired of switching out AA batteries in my wireless mouse and if everybody in the world used this the amount of batteries in landfills would probably see a good decrease and we would see some kind of energy savings (even though I find it hard to imagine a mouse taking a lot of electricity).[/citation]Screw being TIRED of switching them out, it would be awesome to not have to BUY batteries!

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
"Piezo" electronics? I guess you'd have to be high on crack to have such a great idea as that wonderful mouse. Keep on rockin' it!

G

Another issue would be the additional force required to move the wheel and buttons, as well as the friction required to capture energy from the movement. It might be a very uncomfortable mouse to use.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
If they make one of these that is as accurate as my Logitech G5, and allows me to either add weights, or at least has as much heft as the G5, I will buy one. They also need to lose the cork.

I wonder how you recharge after a month or more of not being used?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]if you play a sniper and camp all the time you might not have enough juice to fire off your shot.[/citation]
You say it like that's a bad thing... #$%#^&@^!@ campers. :p

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]How about pedals, like an old-fashioned sewing machine, running a generator to power the computer?[/citation]
Well, to be honest, part of the limit there is the outright power consumption of the PC; it's like suggesting using a set of AA batteries to power a PC, when it consumes energy WAY too fast to last an appreciable length of time on them; a typical enthusiast's gaming rig, even with less-than-top-end parts, is looking at >300 watts. A top-capacity lithium AA battery holds about 2 amp-hours @1.5 volts, meaning that a single battery would, ignoring loss due to voltage scaling and high amperage draw, power said 300-watt rig (which doesn't count the monitor!) for a grand maximum of 36 seconds.

Meanwhile, peripherals like mice run on a FAR lower power draw, so using batteries and 'self-recharging' mechanisms such as that can make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.