Wireless Indoor TV antenna?

Johncmac

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I am looking for a good wireless indoor TV antenna? I've been in contact with MOHU Support and they have a product that sounds great, but, they have removed it from the market pending improvements. The other problem they (or I) have is that I live in Canada, they require a US Zip code for whatever reason.

So, does anyone have a recommendation that works? Picks up local digital TV, NO WIRES, indoor and works in Canada.
Thanks to all.

Solution
That does look like a cool gadget, but you need to test your indoor reception before attempting to hook up something like that.

The best way to start with OTA (over the air) DTV reception with an indoor antenna is to try a few indoor antennas connected to an actual TV. Get an antenna with an amplifier and a long coax extension so you can move the antenna around to see if there is a spot indoors that allows you to pick up any channels. Here's a few ideas... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/140-3583868-0898262?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=indoor+tv+antenna+with+amplifier

If that is good, you can move to the next level and get a USB HDTV tuner for your laptop or desktop computer. I have had good luck with the...

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All antennae work in any country.
It depends on how far away from the Broadcast station antennae you are.
Most have a mile rating 20-175mile. Pick an antennae with twice the mile rating you need. Most days you get everything great, but when weather interrupts the signal a larger one will still pick up your strongest stations.

Johncmac

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I believe that this particular antenna works in conjunction with an App that runs on various platforms. That is why it is country centric. It isn't available outside the US. Of note: it doen't seem to work at all, they have stopped selling it,as they rework it.

Still a great idea, for any device that can run an app.

Don't know what Mohu product you mention but I doubt it's such thing as a "wireless antenna".
There are things like the Tablo which is a tuner that can send it's output wirelessly to TVs.
You can place any ATSC tuner in a convenient location to wire to the antenna and send the HDMI output to TVs with a wireless HDMI solution.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Might be local laws, or a supply chain problem.
Our local Walmart has them in stock and for sale.
And I live in a fairly rural area. No cable/ satellite is available so I have a huge outdoor !50 mile antennae at both houses.
On good days I get 36 ? channels and on bad days 4 or 5 so-so.
I am about 60 miles N/NE or Atlanta Ga.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

There is no such thing as a wireless antenna because of the laws of physics.

Johncmac

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Perhaps you have misread the thread.
From their product page:

This game-changing wireless device integrates live, local TV with free streaming channels. Set it up anywhere and watch on these supported devices. As seen on TIME, WIRED, CNET, Mashable, and more. Read the latest AirWave update or subscribe for email updates.

From their product update page:
We’re working hard to make AirWave better! Online sales are paused while we continue to make improvements. Thanks to those who have purchased and submitted feedback — you’re helping us make AirWave the ultimate cord cutting device!

If you have a weak Wi-Fi signal, or if your Wi-Fi router uses only 5GHz, you may need to connect your AirWave Power Bridge directly to your router using the included ethernet cable.

If you have a strong Wi-Fi connection, it is more important to place your AirWave where the antenna will perform best than to be connected directly to your router.

Johncmac

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Sorry, I guess I was just confused. When the product literature stated, "wireless device integrates live, local TV" and the setup info had no mention of a cable running from the antenna to your TV, only from the antenna to the brick (that is also a wireless transmitter). Also, the need to download the MOHU app from the App store, configure it for your network and do a channel search. I believe that you can see my confusion.

All that being said, my wife won't allow the cables so I'll just wait a bit until the system is perfected.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The MOHU is a nice idea it allows you to watch TV on your computer/tablet/phone etc...
But the problem is still the antennae, unless you are in town or close to the transmit towers.
The small indoor antennae it comes with would not pick up a single channel where I live.
I have to use these.
At my home for TV and FM reception.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-Master-Cm-3020-Advantage-100-Antenna/42503546
at our cottage for tv reception.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digiwave-UHF-Outdoor-TV-Antenna-ANT2104/44984583#read-more

Tinstaafl

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
That does look like a cool gadget, but you need to test your indoor reception before attempting to hook up something like that.

The best way to start with OTA (over the air) DTV reception with an indoor antenna is to try a few indoor antennas connected to an actual TV. Get an antenna with an amplifier and a long coax extension so you can move the antenna around to see if there is a spot indoors that allows you to pick up any channels. Here's a few ideas... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/140-3583868-0898262?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=indoor+tv+antenna+with+amplifier

If that is good, you can move to the next level and get a USB HDTV tuner for your laptop or desktop computer. I have had good luck with the Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD. It comes with the WinTV software you need to get started on one PC. You can also view program schedules and record shows and time shift. Turns your PC into a HDTV DVR. Also works with the Plex media server. http://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_dualhd.html

I eventually dedicated a desktop PC for this purpose as a general media center in my living room, connected to my flat screen TV. Using a Windows IR remote and another free PVR software package, I can record all my network shows, and watch them from my couch. No cable TV bills! Priceless!

But I will add that it did take some work to find an indoor antenna that performed, and a location for it that was optimal. There is no one answer, because every location will be different, and broadcast TV is subject to the laws and whims of physics. Here is a locator tool that will help you to analyze your location to determine which broadcast television signals are available in your area. http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Your limiting factor for that is likely to be the wife approval factor. Maybe hiding an antenna in your attic, or outside, with coax cables in the walls may work out better. :)

Solution
Aug 24, 2018

I'm curious what this is then: https://www.amazon.com/WatchAir-Antenna-Wireless-Streaming-Recording/dp/B01LY2YX7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535145652&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+tv+antenna