With Unity, Unreal Engine Support, Firefox Becomes Gaming Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

j5689

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
Maybe EA could do this with the Frostbite engine as well and then it wouldn't feel so disjointed to have to launch games through a browser

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Looks cool but is using "console quality" really necessary? why cant it be "PC" or the dreaded "triple A quality". however I am pumped for this support. it better bring us some good games. Im not a big fan of unity engine myself.

G

"Slightly less" than native speed? Wasn't it like 35% less than native? Not really "slightly".

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Even without the hit, what happens to users that try to use their Dell or Best Buy special computer on one of these games? Especially with how high the system requirements are for the Unreal Engine 4 in native mode: (quad core, 8gig ram, GeForce 470gtx or AMD 6870 source: https://www.unrealengine.com/faq). The average user thinks that if it's on the web, their computer can handle it, which won't happen here. Very cool that it is possible at least.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Like all cloud computing innovations, the big thing about this is that it is platform agnostic. No matter what device a user is on, they can play these games. That means a lot more freedom from something like a Microsoft monopoly that puts a tight stranglehold on innovation.

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
At first I was skeptical, but after reading the story and comments I'll have to give it a try when it becomes available. And then of course test it again, later once its had a few rounds of improvement.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
We've had reliable in-browser 3d for three years with WebGL. It really isn't ground-breaking news. What would be great news is to hear that IE finally has full support for WebGL, so that we can make useful applications and libraries for everyone. .

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I'a apprehensive of this "convenience". I am afraid of with this "convenience" will come a market like the Android or iPhone portable market. No real AAA games, just a crapload of freemium and microtransaction junk.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Java is garbage, no sorry most people code Java as garbage so not a real surprize at the %35 overhead. This looks like it will just open more people up to Java infections from malware infested game streaming sites, just like the sneaky movie/TV Flash streamers. (Noone ever updates their Java its going to be horrible) I do look forward to more virus removal business, thanks firefox.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
"Slightly less" than native speed? Wasn't it like 35% less than native? Not really "slightly".
If browser performance is within an order of magnitude of the 'native' version's performance, the degradation is not important considering the type of applications that will likely be developed with it in the near future.

saymi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I was able to play the game on fedora 20. There was not any challenge. I did not measure performance. I believe this has lots of potential. I am looking forward to see noticable titles (I prefer RTS titles)

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
around 2009 there is this amazing browser games from Instant Action. Now they went bankrupt because that was the time when pc game goes booming and nobody pay attention to browser based games. If only they'll come back....

caspy7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
We've had reliable in-browser 3d for three years with WebGL. It really isn't ground-breaking news. What would be great news is to hear that IE finally has full support for WebGL, so that we can make useful applications and libraries for everyone. .
These games would not be possible without the near-native speed of Javascript enabled by asm.js. Also the folks who make Unity and Unreal didn't (and probably would not) have to build their own game engine in Javascript, but simply converted it to asm.js from C++.

Status
Not open for further replies.