Woman Fired for Using ALL CAPS in Email

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I would have fired her too. People that post or write emails in all capital letters show how big of a mouth-breathing idiot they are. She even looks like an idiot.

G

Her company was retarded for firing her over that, but she was also a dumbass for sending the email. If she had been warned beforehand about doing it then I would understand them firing her though.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
If pointing out AN IMPORTANT DATE is going to scare the hell out of someone, THEY SHOULD STAY HOME.

Nothing I see in the example screen shot... is anything to be upset by.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Here's the original article. Pretty pathetic that the council took the best part of two years to grant her compensation, but hey... That's NZ justice, where the mill wheels grind very slowly, but exceedingly finely.

Had the employer just shuffled the positions around a bit and made her redundant, they'd not have a case to answer. I predict that this is not the last I'll see of this case.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10594014

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]donuts?!?!?! WHERE!!!!!![/citation]

OMG... DONUTS!!!

I would have fired her... turn the caps lock off bitch...

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Somehow I doubt she was fired for merely using caps to explain how to correctly fill out a form. I suspect we are all quite familiar with the person who comes across as a real a-hole in their email messages (usually in person too, for that matter). Anyway, there's something to be said for being polite in the workplace, even if you can't stand the person you're communicating with.[/citation]

Yeah...she looks like a |3!tCh Boss person....

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Somehow I doubt she was fired for merely using caps to explain how to correctly fill out a form. I suspect we are all quite familiar with the person who comes across as a real a-hole in their email messages (usually in person too, for that matter). Anyway, there's something to be said for being polite in the workplace, even if you can't stand the person you're communicating with.[/citation]

If this person had used other emails with slanderous content and more confrontational content, don't you think the company would have submitted them as evidence? If you were a company lawyer and the worst example was the one above you would have looked a little harder.

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]dbzpic1[/nom]I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS CAN BE AN ISSUE IN THE WORKPLACE WITH ANYONE. IF ANYTHING, IT IS EASIER TO READ CAPITAL LETTERS. I ALSO ENJOY DEFFERENT COLORS BECAUSE IT MAKES IT SPICIER TO READ. I WISH MORE PLACES WOULD USE ALL CAPS. ESPECIALLY ON FORUMS.[/citation]
I was told recently that all caps takes about twice as long to read as sentence case because your eye also looks for shapes of words, rather than reading all the letters individually.

G

"...there are so many issues that are unresolved that I want to take them up on." Walker added that she plans to lodge an appeal for further compensation."

I'm thinking font wasn't the issue here...

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It is not easier to read all capital letters. It's easier to read text that has been properly punctuated, articulated, with correct grammar.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
well her emails beat the people that do not use grammar at all i mean if youre to lazy to not use a shift key you should be shot on sight and beat to death with a rubber chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.