Woman Must Pay $1.5 Million for Sharing MP3s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ahahah u guys so disturbed, change the article or at least inform, this is happening and it WILL happen to you. It is a law and there is no way around. Thank god i don't live in USA :) assholes

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I would have asked to see the head of the RIAA in private and asked him if his life was really worth pursuing this litigation. You put me against the wall, I have nothing to lose.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
She is hoping to ramp the charges up to $100 million, then she will accept the punishment

Then pay off at $10 a month for the next 833,000 years

It doesn't matter what the punishment is, it will always be an arbitrary figure and impossible to ever pay off. She is constantly appealing to drain legal fees from the RIAA and rightly so, those assclowns need to just drop the suit because even if they do win - they don't win.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
I agree with piracy being punished, but I don't think the punishment fits the crime. If one person sharing 24 songs actually cost the RIAA 1.5million, they'd be out of business. Think of all the individual people out there sharing THOUSANDS of songs.

I think at most she should get a hefty fine and have her blocked from going to file sharing sites by her ISP. It doesn't really matter though, the RIAA isn't even going to see a fraction of that money.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is an open shut case.
Each place she appeals sets a precident that the RIAA can show to any lower court.
Basically she's streamlining the lawsuite process for the RIAA.
I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA is actually encouraging her to continue to appeal.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Or...you could actually pay money for original content created by others... $.99/song is not too much too much to ask if you truly enjoy what you are getting and if you listen to it 100 times in your life, it's been a pretty worthwhile investment....

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
bogus really need to be that much? laywers playing games at he expense of these RIAA what ever they call them self's.. it pretty disgusting.. the entertainment hasn't been all that great they money they make will all someday end its not worth anything in the real world were infomation should be free no matter what it is for the sake of human kind and the will to advance to the never ending future.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This verdict is 100% this woman's fault.

She lied in court.
She blamed her children for the infringement
She blamed her boyfriend for the infringement
She turned down a $5,000 verdict
She turned down a $25,000 donation to a music charity.
After the second appeal the RIAA was still willing to settle, Mrs. Thomas Rasset was not

This woman is stupid and anything that is happening to her right now is a direct result of her own actions. Ironically enough, the general public will certainly sympathize with Mrs. Thomas Rasset and, once again, the RIAA will look like the bad guy for pushing for monster judgements when they wasn't the case at all. They tried at every turn to settle with this woman to no avail. I say she deserves the $1.5 million for wasting so much of everyone's time.

elbert

Distinguished
The RIAA then wanted to strike a deal with Thomas-Rasset to make the amount $25,000 if she would ask the judge to remove from record the decision to reduce the original $1.92 million (which the judge termed to be "monstrous and shocking").
Isn't this illegal? If she agreed the RIAA would have used this amount in their other cases to show precedence for higher judgments. A willful attempting to engage in a Subversive activity. IE an attempting to overthrow a later judges ruling.

Government should see this in the same categories of treason, sedition, sabotage, or espionage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The solution: stop pirating and stop buying... and watch RIAA / MPAA squirm.[/citation]

Why stop pirating? I say we pirate them until they are all chapter 11.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Because it's all a game. It's about making the RIAA's lawyers feel like they've accomplished something, and that by extension, the RIAA is necessary and useful.Would any musician even see a dime of this money?[/citation]

Lost in all of this is that a JURY of our peers handed down this verdict. The RIAA had no hand in deciding damages. They can't. That is up to our peers and our peers were sick of Mrs. Thomas Rasset's endless appeals, lies, and nonsense so they handed her a huge judgement.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]uruquiora[/nom]i'll start buying music when it sells at decent prices...[/citation]

I'm glad you feel that way. Do you treat all other consumer goods with the same ridiculous logic?

This 12 pack of beer is too expensive. I'm going to steal it. I'll buy it when it sells at a decent price. Oh, but wait, non tangible goods don't have any value though.... right? Right?

Do you know what I do? I haven't purchased music in over two years. I haven't download any music either. I'm doing without in a protest to the RIAA. People like you aren't hurting the RIAA you are just justifying their actions. You are sending the message to the RIAA that the music IS in demand but you would rather steal it than buy it. If the message was "we don't want your music" they might change their demeanor.

Ironically enough, you are the problem and yet here you are whining about it.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]hihiman1[/nom]What? She could have paid only $25,000 but she refused? Maybe she didn't think she should have been fined at all, but even so, she should've taken 25k over 1500k.[/citation]
I hope I would say the same thing - no.
If I have money and a good band is in town, they'll get my money. Otherwise, no.
Though $300 for Ozzy tickets was a bit much. I'd pay a lot more for Daft Punk tickets though.

Artists make most of their money form live performances if I remember correctly. Sounds like the right place to show support to me. :)

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
So how much money did she make off of sharing the music?.......It had to be significant to owe that much, oh wait that is just our retarded judicial system at work.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]Like the quality of music is worth anything these days.....[/citation]
The new music these days is all garbage. Fuck the RIAA.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]zooted[/nom]So how much money did she make off of sharing the music?.......It had to be significant to owe that much, oh wait that is just our retarded judicial system at work.[/citation]
The US does not have a justice system. It has a legal system. There is a difference. "Retarded" is a good word to describe that difference.

khanny

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
[citation][nom]uruquiora[/nom]i'll start buying music when it sells at decent prices...[/citation]

$.99 is too much? Go listen to Pandora then.

Status
Not open for further replies.