World of Warcraft Has Lost 600,000 Subscribers Since May

Status
Not open for further replies.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
how about you make some challenging content blizzard? the burning crusade was nice and challenging but just before wrath of the lichking (about the sametime activision poked its nose in) and wrath of the lichking itself and ever since the game has had very little actually challenging content

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
how about you make some challenging content blizzard? the burning crusade was nice and challenging but just before wrath of the lichking (about the sametime activision poked its nose in) and wrath of the lichking itself and ever since the game has had very little actually challenging content

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
are they trying to tell me that pet battles arent enough to keep players interested?? lol, I still find it surprising that they have the numbers they do, no surprise they are bleeding them though

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Not surprising. Blizzard shot themselves in the foot back with the release of Wrath of the Lich King. They made the content WAY too easy. Sure their subscription numbers shot through the roof, but look at the quality of players they got.

Why are people surprised to see things dropping back to pre-wrath numbers? Suck it up, and release a good product like Burning Crusade, and maybe people will return. More than likely though Blizzard is going to need to accept the fact that they screwed up, with no way to fix it.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Not surprised. Even with the availability of more difficult content (heroic raids, challenge modes, etc.) there seems to be fewer people willing to do that difficult content. And without people willing to do the difficult content, the glue that holds guilds together disappears. Instead most people would rather do LFR and complain about how it is too easy, and the unsubscribe when they get bored.

BUT, the game is nearly 9 years old. If I had a 9-year-old game that still had 8.3 million subscribers willing to pay the monthly fee, I'd be ecstatic.

InvalidError

Distinguished
WoTLK was generally good IMO. Hard modes were lots of fun for the most part; particularly Ulduar's.

Cataclysm was also good for the most part - though I mostly played only the first two raids (BoT/BWD - played Cataclysm for the first six months) then took a break and came back for Deathwing... that's when I got acquainted with LFR which was too horribly dumbed down for my taste (but still good enough to give me a general idea with minimal effort) and I didn't feel like going through the whole process of finding a new guild to clear that on normal and heroic mode so I decided to call it quits there.

Two things killed WoW for me: LFR and elitims.

When I was actively playing, I was aiming for top-5 guilds and that meant lots of opportunistic guild-hunting, having to (re-)prove myself as their alt-run standby and lots of other tedious stuff every time I came back from taking breaks from WoW so every time I came back, I spent the first three months mostly earning myself a spot in a guild before I could spend the next three months doing actual raiding... and then get kicked out of that guild for daring to take a break. With LFR, I no longer had a reason to put up with that but LFR DS was much too watered down to retain my interest. If LFR had had Easy / Normal / Hard mode options, I might have stuck around longer.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
WoW was great for a long time, but its not a new concept and the game is getting long in the tooth. Time for WoW2. Everquest was amazing for a long time, but at some point, its time to move on. Guild Wars 2 is a better game than WoW, and I prefer playing Planetside 2 than PvPing in WoW as well.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I remember vanilla WoW.
It was terribly unbalanced.
It was very hard to organize raid or get any epics.
But on the other hand there was a sense of accomplishment.
Oh, and you didn't need to do the chemistry chores to raid successfully. (except naxx/cthun)

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Well when you spend months on end pvping for a set of gear or same time doing raids for raid gear only to have Blizzard give away sets with stats that are just as good or better to noobs for stuff all effort, You tend to get pissed off and leave!

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
When I originally heard the Huge Amount of $$$ that company was pulling in I imagined to myself that even if they put a Small fraction of that into developing a new game/Truly advancing the current one - then there should have been Something Amazing coming to gamers around the world...

as it stands it feels Much more like some people got Rich and put out as Little as they realistically could to keep the gravy train flowing

-.-

beethree

Honorable
May 23, 2012
We are talking about a game where you can get a bear mount with armor on it but the developers are too lazy to make armor visible for druids.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
back in its vanilla days and burnign crusade I used to play 30+ hours a week (still had and have a 40+ hour a week job a wife/kid and house not like a basement dwellign neckbeard just is a pretty cheap way to game), got back into it a bit durring cataclysm and while I love the single player story in mists of pandaren I haven't found the new raid content as engaging as in the past, could be that I have gotten so used to the mechanics of classes thogh I mean I have bene playing since beta

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Well, it is an old game, this is going to happen sooner or later, especially with almost every mmorpg out there has F2P model that lure away people already tired of the same old settings that has to pay subscriptions monthly. Frankly I don't think making the content hard is going to make things any different, cause then you will start losing lots of casual players instead. What blizzard needs to figure out is how to work out a F2P model without disrupting the existing subscription base too much. But still with current 7 million+ subscribers, it is still the most profitable mmorpg now.

Status
Not open for further replies.