World's First 3D-printed Gun Fired for First Time on Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I don't see why this 3D printed gun is being sooooo hyped up. Can't you guys write about something more worthwhile?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@koga73 yes you are, but unless you want to sell the gun, its legal.
@warezme single use emergency gun, we have had gund like this for years, the plastic is strong enough for 1 accurate shot, several inaccurate, and then a catastrophic failure, at a lower caliber it would just be the plastic cracking, not an explosion.
@CarolKarine they fixed that to the point it can fire several hundred, if i remember correctly, they managed 600 before failure.
@rwpritchett still more or less need metal in a bullet to make it deadly for anything more than point blank, and even than, it may not be powerfull enough.
@Vorador2 yes, you don't need a bullet to be metal to kill, you can 3d print the rifling, and they improved the ar design to 600+ bullets before fail. the only reason the guns failed is they had to re engineer how you build them for non metal parts.
@itchyisvegeta already are, but are so impractical for this purpose it would be cheaper to buy a mill and make your own. parts form solid metal bars.
@southernshark 3d printer = 500$ or less if you can make it yourself, about 500$ if you get someone to print you the parts, and for 2000$ you can get a laser printer... not sure what the best is, in terms of end product sturdiness, but those are rough prices on a thing that is basicly brand new to the consumer market.
and anyone can make a zip shotgun, the problem is thats not what most people want, and anything more than that is a bit complex.
@guardianangel42 probably the part that getting a gun legaly without a background check is easier than doing this, and you forget, airports basicly finger (lets not say this word) now, and this isnt something you can easily hide. and if someone wanted to do a mass shooting with this, i welcome it, better this than a real gun.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I am all about the 2nd amendment, but my only fear with this is that DD decided to print a gun and include metal because of the law outlawing all plastic guns so that they can be detected in a metal detector. These guys want to be legitimate and stay within the law, but what about someone that doesn't want too. It kinda gets scary.
That said, 3D printing technology is going to change the world, technology always does, for the good or the bad. It has the potential to bring manufacturing back to the US and help the economy by cutting out the shipping/distribution on small object fabrication. Physical objects can be sold as data, and then manufactured with raw materials locally (made @ home instead of made in china).

Status
Not open for further replies.