World's Thinnest Smartphone is as Tough as a Hammer?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rapidcolor[/nom]Why can't we get this in america. At www.xyzcom we have sales people breaking phone screens left and right.[/citation]

Nothing but a disguised spam.
Why don't you go and BLEEP yourself !

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Showed this to my friend and said to him, "This is what Android can do." and he boasted, "Apple can do that do." My bet to him was a new G.S. III. His bet to me was the upcoming iPhone 5.

So I bang his iPhone 4s on a nail to a 2x4 and WALLA! thousands of pieces EVERYWHERE!

Yeah! I got myself a new Euro G.S. III Quad core! XD

Apple just got owned

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I am familiar with this phone company in China, it is actually a really nice phone. It is also one of the most expensive phones you can buy in China not counting the iPhones. Some of the phones are made of exotic materials. That is really nice to know it is that strong, it just means it can or might survive a fall or drop better than any other phone.

As for all the smartphone comments relating to some other manufacture, who cares? We are focusing on this phone.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Very nice, probably very expensive but worth it I suppose to avoid screen replacement costs, I have friends that have replaced iPhone screens several times - at $50+ a pop that really racks up - with something like this you would drop any kind of accidental damage insurance too

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]If you're in a pinch and need a hammer and don't own one...well hey, whack it with your Smartphone![/citation]
I prefer to use my friend's smartphones for my hammering needs

G

I thought the video would show someone hammering a nail into a piece of wood.

Too bad it only shows someone tacking a nail in a piece of wood. Completely different...

I'm still somewhat impressed. But, i would have been amazed if it was actually hammered all the way in.

zomow

Honorable
May 3, 2012
"surprisingly enough it wasn't Apple or Samsung that dethroned it"
LOl at Apple making a tough device.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]How is this possible...[/citation]

Its possible because for once, they used quality materials.
You may not know this, but we had a capacity for a very long time to create materials that are light, durable, extremely strong, etc... however, we live in a world of planned obsolescence (which is necessary in order to keep the money flowing), hence, most of the time you see sub par equipment.
Even the equipment which is 'most expensive' is questionable... because technical efficiency is the enemy of profits in the long run.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I have seen a video of the HTC One X doing the same thing, except it was recorded months before this. It's called gorilla glass and taking 4000 strikes to hammer a nail. I could hammer this nail in faster with a tshirt and my hand.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
This would be really cool if it was real, but... I think this could be faked without too much trouble. The device that does all the beating could have been a solid plastic prop of some sort, with the same exact shape as the actual phone. Then right before he turns the screen on they switch the plastic dummy with the real one.

I would have bought it if there hadn't been a scene-cut between the hammering and the screen activation. Or even better, if he had hammered it with the screen on. I hate to be pessimistic, but... I'm calling bulls**t on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.