worth the change in ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
hi i am currently paying 74 month for internet dsl and get about 6mbps which works fairly well with only minor slowdown. I can pay 46 a month for 12mbps with a cap that starts on 1-1-22 and will be 200gb cap(which i dont think will be enough for a month). Then i can switch to 40mbps with 1tb cap for $76?
do you think its worth it i would save over 150$ this year and pay about the same for much faster internet next year. But i have to deal with caps but 1tb seems like a high cap.
Any thoughts opinion?

rgd1101

Don't
what the isp? what options do you have?

I saw tmobile offering home internet (4G/5G depend on location) for $60 a month, no caps. google the review, and check the availability on tmobile website

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
what the isp? what options do you have?

I saw tmobile offering home internet (4G/5G depend on location) for $60 a month, no caps. google the review, and check the availability on tmobile website

i am looking at service electric its a small provider most probly wont know it.

i live in town but for some reason my area is very limited compared to all other areas around me.
tmobile- i tried and got about 1mbps most of the time which was unusable and customer service was bad
verizon dsl- i currently have and its the highest speed at 6mbps
verizon mobile broadband is not available
viasat and hughesnet but they are more money with very low caps and bad throttling
windstream, frontier, sprint, att&t, xfinitiy- none of these are available in my area

i pretty much have two choices stay where i am or try the cable option. Or i could wait and see if something new pops up in a year or so and then cancel and switch there is no contract and no cancel fee.

thanks for the reply

rgd1101

Don't
depend on what you doing online. and how many people at your location. For just me(not working at home during this c19), I'm usually under 2gb per month with 1tb cap. and I'm on the 25mbps plan.

with 12mbps, don't see 200gb cap would be an issue, and it cheaper.

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
depend on what you doing online. and how many people at your location. For just me(not working at home during this c19), I'm usually under 2gb per month with 1tb cap. and I'm on the 25mbps plan.

with 12mbps, don't see 200gb cap would be an issue, and it cheaper.

2gb? some pc games take 80gbps.
i figured i could try that and if i need more move up and pay 40$ more a year for 5x faster internet?

rgd1101

Don't
Don't play much AAA games. and only get a new game once in a while.

edited. It might be 20gb usage. might need to check my account.

i figured i could try that and if i need more move up and pay 40$ more a year for 5x faster internet?
Yup.

update: ok. I was way off. is under 100gb usage. feb was under 100, march was under 70

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.