Question would a memory upgrade kill a laptop?

Aug 10, 2021
Got a Asus Dash TUF15. Added a G.Skill ripjaw 16G DDR4 3200 CAS18-18-18-43 1.2v stick. Now it won't power on. Tried a "hard reset" with no luck. Asus states that it supports that version of DDR4 up to 32G. It currently has 8G hard fixed to the MB

Still rather unclear. Does it NOT power up when the added RAM is taken out? If that is the case, you may have damaged something when you opened the laptop. This is not an infrequent occurrence. Unfortunately, many youtube videos that purport to show how to do things to your laptop are not well done. It's best to get a copy of the service manual for your machine and follow the procedures they spell out (especially ESD precautions).

Assuming you removed the extra RAM, what are you observing now? Is the laptop completely dead? Does the charging light show the unit is charging when the external power is connected?

Aug 10, 2021
Gotcha.
steps taken after shut down
1 released all the screws in the bottom cover
2 Pried the cover off with my fingernails. Very carefully
3 disconnected the battery
4 exposed the DDR4 ram slot
5 inserted the ram
6 reconnected the battery and closed the case
7 Attempted power up with no results
8 reopened the case and removed the ram
9 closed case and reattempted power up with no results.
referred back to manual for hard reset and still no power up results.

did all this at our esd station at work. I’m assuming it’s grounded well enough.

Sorry. It’s a little verbose.

Aug 10, 2021
Additionally, about the only thing I can think of that would possibly be different is if I had two different cas latencies going. The upgrade is listed above. I am not 100% on the on board memory. Would it make a difference if it’s CAS was 22? I’m still really new to the laptop world. Only had them provided by work so I never messed with them.

Congrats on using ESD precautions. That is important.

CAS just sets some timing. I can't see how that being inappropriate could cause damage. I tried to look up your machine on the www.crucial.com site (good place to find out about compatible RAM) but would need more model details. Is the machine totally dead (no power light)? Can you enter the BIOS? When you plug in the external charger does the charge light come on?

I would be double checking anything you unconnected (Duh--I'm sure you already did that). Some of the internal connectors are trickey but you likely didn't have to unhook any of these. Sorry you are having problems.

Aug 10, 2021
Congrats on using ESD precautions. That is important.

CAS just sets some timing. I can't see how that being inappropriate could cause damage. I tried to look up your machine on the www.crucial.com site (good place to find out about compatible RAM) but would need more model details. Is the machine totally dead (no power light)? Can you enter the BIOS? When you plug in the external charger does the charge light come on?

I would be double checking anything you unconnected (Duh--I'm sure you already did that). Some of the internal connectors are trickey but you likely didn't have to unhook any of these. Sorry you are having problems.
Can’t do anything with it. Got a replacement sent. Popped the new ram in and it didn’t blink. I’m going to take a shot in the dark and say that when I disconnected the battery cable it created a shock. Lesson learned of course, but thank god for the Amazon return policy.

Glad to hear that it is resolved. Disconnecting the battery cable would not cause a problem. I'm curious--you said you worked on the ESD bench but were you also wearing a wrist strap? Maybe there is an issue with the bench grounding. Or maybe it was just coincidence that the machine just decided to fail!

Aug 10, 2021
Glad to hear that it is resolved. Disconnecting the battery cable would not cause a problem. I'm curious--you said you worked on the ESD bench but were you also wearing a wrist strap? Maybe there is an issue with the bench grounding. Or maybe it was just coincidence that the machine just decided to fail!
Yep. Work with sensitive electronics all the time in telecom. Maybe it’s just that simple that it chose to die right then. Maybe it’s a bad expansion port. Who knows. I do appreciate the suggestions though.