Would it be beneficial to use a 4k HDR TV if none of my content is 4k or HDR?

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
If do not watch 4k hdr content, is it still worth buying a 4k hdr display or should I just stick with what I have?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
personally going from a 1080p 10yr old higher end Sony LCD to a 4k higher end panasonic I noticed the difference in good and bad ways, the post processing is 'different' and creates weird popping sensations if turned up too high, but the picture is better overall.

Going from a 2yr old 1080p, you'll probably not notice the difference.

This is the same question people asked when SD->HD.

As mentioned, sometimes it looks better, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's able to up-sample and helps with the image but not always, and even worse.

Am in the school of never buy anything 1st-generation (like HDMI), let them work out the bugs first, it's gonna be years before (if any honestly IMO) 4k contents will be widely available.

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
mine is 4 years old, would there be a difference?

A top quality 1080p (or even 720p) TV can look better than a brand new 4K TV especially the cheaper ones.
More pixels doesn't give you better contrast or color. The added pixels require more processing so non 4k material can look awful. You can't even see the additional pixels unless you are very close to the screen.
HDR is a more valuable feature. It gives you wider range of color and brightness but it only works on HDR encoded 4k material.