WoW: Cataclysm is Fastest Selling Game Ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]Well they all said "PC computing is dead" yeah right, I have never played WoW and never will, but at least they prove PC gaming is strong[/citation]

You mean addiction?

G

I played the free trial of the first WoW years ago, and was highly impressed. Im not an MMO fan and I dont like paying a monthly fee for a game, but I could see why others would. The game is outstanding and delivers on every level that someone would want from this type of game. In fact, I almost kinda wish I was into WoW, because I can see how amazing the game can get. Maybe I'll sign up again for a few months hehe.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]wowiewowow[/nom]I played the free trial of the first WoW years ago, and was highly impressed. Im not an MMO fan and I dont like paying a monthly fee for a game, but I could see why others would. The game is outstanding and delivers on every level that someone would want from this type of game. In fact, I almost kinda wish I was into WoW, because I can see how amazing the game can get. Maybe I'll sign up again for a few months hehe.[/citation]

The only thing that WoW is missing is a good PvP aspect. I prefer the Realm vs Realm setup from Dark Age of Camelot. It was migrated into Warhammer Online and is quite fun chasing opposing war bands from one part of the realm to another. Its just too bad Warhammer's PvE content is extremely lacking.

WoW also looks too happy. I guess that's one of the reasons I jump back and forth between the two. If I am in a dark mood and want to attend the slaughter of other players I go to WAR. If I want to follow a story I go to WoW.

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Lets see, pay for the expansions in WoW, and my $13 a month and know I can play it for then next 1-2 years and have a quality gaming experience.
.......Or go out and buy a game for $50 bucks and beat it in 1 weekend or have it be so terribad I throw it in the trash or give it away, or trade in on another lousy game that I beat in 1 or 2 weekends hmmmm I know, spend $50 a month plus subscription fees renting games that is much better.
I have played all the free online stuff and have been bored to tears within 2 days its just not my thing, I have the self control to not let WoW take over my life, I play when I feel like it and have time,

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]kimyeang88[/nom]you know that most high school students don't work, they can affort to pay 15 bucks a month to play the game?[/citation]

That's just because most high school kids now-a-days are lazy spoiled bums. In high school I got a job at 15, payed for driving school, the license, the car, the cellphone and earned enough to build my own first computer (and no I didn't walk to school uphill both ways in 6 ft. of snow). And not too along ago I hear my girlfriends sister whine and moan that mommy or daddy won't buy her a car because the FREE one she just got from her parents died.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]That's just because most high school kids now-a-days are lazy spoiled bums. In high school I got a job at 15, payed for driving school, the license, the car, the cellphone and earned enough to build my own first computer (and no I didn't walk to school uphill both ways in 6 ft. of snow). And not too along ago I hear my girlfriends sister whine and moan that mommy or daddy won't buy her a car because the FREE one she just got from her parents died.[/citation]

Shhhh dont tell that, we will get all the high paying jobs for the next 40 years. The newer generations wont be much of a challenge to our supremacy in the workforce! Spoil them all so they are unemployable at a higher level.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Oh and remaking the old world was just a cheap way of making an expansion. Touching it up for flight, adding a minimal number of new zones compared to other expansions and adding some new quests was just cheap. Cutscenes are total amateur hour. I think I've actually seen better ones on youtube done by fans. In Lich King they dropped cutscenes down to in-game models but rendered and enhanced them.. This time around they aren't even putting the money into that and just doing in-game cutscenes in a 6 year old engine. No sounds, no music, horrible animation = dullest, most cheaply made budget cutscenes that make me cringe when I think I paid 40 bux for this shit (plus the monthly fee).Honestly, this is just another Activision release designed to rake in as much money as possible with minimal development costs.[/citation]I think the cut some corners on the scenes so that they could make there deadline of December 7 before the holidays.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]I think the cut some corners on the scenes so that they could make there deadline of December 7 before the holidays.[/citation]

Since Blizzard is now Activi$ion it would make sense. Maximum profit with minimal respect to the IP.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I'm not surprised...
I'm sure I would have bought it if I hadn't realized that I would have eventually got addicted to the game. But since I did... I quit playing. If I hadn't I don't think I would have met my girlfriend.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
This expansion is a mix of good and bad.

I like the new 1-60 content and leveling and flying in Azeroth. I hate the linear 80-85 leveling, no more picking and choosing which quest hubs to go to anymore to change things up. Every toon you level from 80 to 85 will have to do the same exact same quests. Classes/Specs are not balanced (yet at least). Level 85 Heroics are like mini raids as far as difficulty and take forever to finish, so much for Blizzard making the game "easier" in that aspect. Both the wife and I are not really enjoying this expansion like we did with the previous 2 expansions. We both agree that this will probably be the last WoW expansion we play.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]mhughes81[/nom]This expansion is a mix of good and bad.I like the new 1-60 content and leveling and flying in Azeroth. I hate the linear 80-85 leveling, no more picking and choosing which quest hubs to go to anymore to change things up. Every toon you level from 80 to 85 will have to do the same exact same quests. Classes/Specs are not balanced (yet at least). Level 85 Heroics are like mini raids as far as difficulty and take forever to finish, so much for Blizzard making the game "easier" in that aspect. Both the wife and I are not really enjoying this expansion like we did with the previous 2 expansions. We both agree that this will probably be the last WoW expansion we play.[/citation]
I somewhat agree about the 80-85 leveling, but you also have to realize that leveling an alt to 85 is going to be extremely quick. Rested exp is a full level and a half, and there are half as many levels to go through, which means you are going to be rested for twice as long.

It is also good to hear that you find heroics more difficult, as that was the approach blizzard was going for. They wanted to make Cataclysm more simple in terms of character choices, but they wanted to make the game more difficult. The state of WotLK was somewhat depressing for me personally as it was less like an RPG and more like ramming your way through instances for loot. It now actually requires teamwork and some attention. With a good group it still goes by about as quick as heroics did in equivalent gear, but for a bad group things go sour quickly.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I'm playing the expansion and am disappointed in it. They've gone back to the old ways of making gear extremely hard to get. Instances take 2-3 hours instead of 20-40 minutes. Quests were all single player based. What's the point of paying to play with the wife if we can't actually quest together? I did 2 years of hardcore raiding and now I just want to log on a couple times a week and kill raid bosses. No way in hell I'm going back to 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and I get the impression that's what they're after again.[/citation]
I miss the original WoW. Back when gear was hard to get, and even the simplest instances could took half a day. Only the the top 2 players on a realm (one Alliance and one Horde) could buy the top PVP gear... I quit shortly after the first expansion.
They can't please everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.