WoW diehards hit level 80

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I'd much rather someone sit on an MMO and make a null contribution to society than a negative one. They are not a hindrance. Sure they aren't adding much to the state of the world, but they aren't hurting anyone either. If you don't approve of their lifestyle that is your business, but to call them a hindrance seems a bit odd.

I'd also guess that many of these extremely competitive players have jobs and lives as well. Much of it is a work smarter not harder mentality, so they likely don't spend as much time as you think in the game. They are just making good use of the time they spend.

Regardless even if they are useless zombies in all aspects of non-WoW life I like them. They pay a monthly subscription to the company and the company uses the money to make some great games outside of WoW that I really enjoy playing. So bring on the zombies and the Diablo 3!

G

Lol i love the people with -1 rep right here are the ones who actually try to prove a point instead of just going with the crowd... Sure I think they are losers... But they don't think they are losers... And who are we to judge someone a loser? Who gives us the power to judge other people unfit for society... really... who do we think we are?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
why live? what possible purpose do we serve?
I long ago came to the conclusion:
I am a finite being in an infinte universe, and as such cannot comprehend any motives if there are any to the existence of life, therefore I shall enjoy myself however the hell i feel like and everything else be damned. Being brutally honest if these people get a kick from this, that is there method of enjoying themselves, let them.

and yes, my philosophy means that if i could murder someone, not feel any negative emotional consequences or risk getting caught, I would do it without a second thought if it improved my lot.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
clay, I would beg to differ.

Taking up possible living space, nature's space, crop growing space, and creating massive amounts of waste (anyone on the grid, anyone shopping retail does exactly that) IS creating a hindrance to both nature, and to other humans. We have to put trash somewhere and at some point it's going to end up in your back yard. If you're not helping to find better solutions to equitable living then you're still a part of the problem. We all have a carbon footprint, and beyond that, we all pollute. Regardless of how hard we try. You can't survive and not have some negative impact upon nature. Unless of course, you believe that our role in nature is to simply destroy it. We're not exactly simple predatory mammals that eat, crap, and become worm food though. We have much higher standards of living than that.

G

If you reach level 80 in 27 hours, how can you say that this guy doesn't have a life? I mean, he ONLY spent 27 hours on something others need spend 200 hours on. Now who has the 'better' life here...

G

200 hours is probably going to be spread over a large amount of time, not near a week's worth of just playing (guessing three weeks to a month of a few hours a day). This would leave time for important things like mentioned in comments before such as a job or contributing to society.
Though, if the player DOES play for a week in one sitting, then that's their stupid decision. If they choose to use their break or vacation time to strain themselves by playing video games for one week, power to them. We shouldn't care. Let them do that and hope they hurry up and die for being insignificant.

G

Are you serious??? Your asking people to give up their free time to do something to "contribute to society". Id like to ask you how many hours you spend in front of the TV? How many hours do you spend drinking with your friends? How many hours do you spend surfing the net? You realise all that time could be spent "contributing to society" right? You claim people are wasting their time and hurting society by using their free time to play WoW or any other MMO. If they can afford to play WoW and they are not on social welfare then that means they have earned this time and can spend it as they wish. Merely because one hobby is more widespread and more acceptable than another does not invalidate the other. Oh and JohnnyDough why the hell did you bring the enviromental argument into this??? WoW players could be powering their pcs with faking windmills for all you know, they could be more concious of the enviroment than your standard person. If you are complaining about them using a computer than Id like to ask you how you left your comments. Or perhaps you think painting with very broad brush strokes and lecturing people who might quite possibly be more intelligent than you and know more about the enviroment than you ever will is somehow "contributing to society".

This whole argument is still based on the tired cliche of the overweight nerd playing computer games in his basement, well Im sorry but thats just not the case anymore(if it ever was) and unlike you I have proof : http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/pressrelease.cfm?id=4140

My god it says that gamers are more likely to marry, go on a date, engage in sporting activities etc. Basically all the things you would think of a "winner" doing. So I guess maybe you guys who think gamers are "losers" can suck on some rock hard facts for once?

Redraid3r

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
It's amazing how some people can be so self righteous to decide for other people what a waste of time is. I could easily say that people who spend time "socializing" at bars are not only wasting time, but often become a menace to society as drunkards wandering the streets and driving vehicles posing a danger to themselves and others. You should notice that there are laws against being in public after a visit to a bar to take advantage of what is sold there, but there are no laws against someone going into public after playing an MMORPG. That is because it doesn't ever lead to a risk to anyone. Anonymous has a VERY good post and facts to back up what I'm saying as opposed to those criticizing MMORPG players who have NOTHING to support their position but there myopic personal opinion.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Don't hate the player(s)......Hate the game. As far as being a hindrance to society for mastering your favorite MMO goes....that account cost money every month. He is earning enough to pay for it and putting food on the table for someone downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.