WPA Encryption Cracked in One Minute

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hahahahaaaaaaaa.........
for WEP I can do it for 60 sec...............

PreciousL

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
[citation][nom]megahunter[/nom]i'm using it open so no one can crack it haha dã[/citation]

It's a worthy theory, my father use to leave the windows down in his car when he parked in bad neighborhoods. He figured if someone wanted his radio they would break in anyway and this way he wouldn't have to pay for a new radio and new glass.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]megahunter[/nom]i'm using it open so no one can crack it haha dã[/citation]

Why do you jest at my comment?

I have Mac WiFi and running WEP = Inpenatrable. Macs are not prone to Security issues like Windows.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Why do you jest at my comment?I have Mac WiFi and running WEP = Inpenatrable. Macs are not prone to Security issues like Windows.[/citation]
I remember that mini-contest at a hacker conference about 3 laptops (Mac, Win, Linux distro) as a chalenge to hack them (I believe the article was here on THG news); first place was the Mac one, cracked in a few seconds; the others came later at about the same time; so yes, the Macs are soooo secure.../sarcasm

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]I remember that mini-contest at a hacker conference about 3 laptops (Mac, Win, Linux distro) as a chalenge to hack them (I believe the article was here on THG news); first place was the Mac one, cracked in a few seconds; the others came later at about the same time; so yes, the Macs are soooo secure.../sarcasm[/citation]

Jeez...guys...can't take a little sarcasm? Yes yes I know. I was just poking fun at Macs. And I know WEP is even less secure than WPA but we don't have to go into the detials. I was just having fun. Do I have to type "/Sarcasm" at the head or end of every post I make?

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

At least megahunter got my sarcasm....

*high fives megahunter*

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
almost every comment on this article is marked negative... someone really dislikes disparaging remarks towards the Japanese or anything to do with facts...

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Have not used WPA or any wireless networking for a while, I wired my house instead and turned off wireless. I only enable it when I have visitors.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Major7Up[/nom]Have not used WPA or any wireless networking for a while, I wired my house instead and turned off wireless. I only enable it when I have visitors.[/citation]

That is not usually a viable option except for new homes, as installing ethernet in all useful rooms in a home really tears up the walls and ceilings. Some might want to use their laptop in the cr@pper, but not me, lol. It's not worth it for most. The exception would be 1 or 2 rooms, depending upon the distance and routing of the cable and location of wall jacks.

If I had my choice, I'd buy a new home with CAT-6 installed in every room. To be as secure as I can be with my current equipment, I do the following:

1) Enable WPA-TKIP and use a long random password (my router doesn't support AES or WPA2)
2) Turn off SID advertising
3) Turn off DHCP
4) Enable MAC Address filtering
5) Assign Static IP's to specific MAC addresses in ACL

That is the most secure my home wireless network can be without having to buy another more modern/advanced wireless router. I'd recommend anyone with wireless home networks do the same, though WPA2 with AES is preferred. Just my 2 cents. :)

G

Does this hack still use a dictionary to crack it ? (like the old WPA method) ? IF so, use a random long string and it won't work.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]At least megahunter got my sarcasm....*high fives megahunter*[/citation]
I noticed it the first time I read it, someone who has R3t4ard as their sn has some sarcastic humor in them or my pity for educational upbringing. I've read some of your posts about apple and their crazy scheme to take over the world with the patent system and their redefined ABC's, I think.

oliphillips

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
masop said:
That is not usually a viable option except for new homes, as installing ethernet in all useful rooms in a home really tears up the walls and ceilings. Some might want to use their laptop in the cr@pper, but not me, lol. It's not worth it for most. The exception would be 1 or 2 rooms, depending upon the distance and routing of the cable and location of wall jacks.

If I had my choice, I'd buy a new home with CAT-6 installed in every room. To be as secure as I can be with my current equipment, I do the following:

1) Enable WPA-TKIP and use a long random password (my router doesn't support AES or WPA2)
2) Turn off SID advertising
3) Turn off DHCP
4) Enable MAC Address filtering
5) Assign Static IP's to specific MAC addresses in ACL

That is the most secure my home wireless network can be without having to buy another more modern/advanced wireless router. I'd recommend anyone with wireless home networks do the same, though WPA2 with AES is preferred. Just my 2 cents. :)

Have you never heard of Homeplugs? ;)

G

Wireless part is not the most dangerous part.
But the internet is.
once your packet is pass to internet, your packet is publicly available.

adam_c

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
hey masop, just thought I'd give you a hand,

1, sounds good
2, actually makes your wireless clients less secure (see Jasager)
3, easy enough to sniff for IP and MAC combinations once the network has been compromised
4, same as 3
5 same again.

I understand the desire to not have to fork out for new hardware, what do you use as a firewall? could you plug your AP into a spare ethernet port on it and ACL it to only allow termination of IPSEC VPNs, that way you treat your wireless network as untrusted and so if it becomes compromised, they can't get past your ACL.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nitto555rchallenger[/nom]I noticed it the first time I read it, someone who has R3t4ard as their sn has some sarcastic humor in them or my pity for educational upbringing. I've read some of your posts about apple and their crazy scheme to take over the world with the patent system and their redefined ABC's, I think.[/citation]

Its true...really. No BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.