Ws2_32.dll. whats going on

andy g

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
My mate is running xp and avg free anti virus recently when trying to update avg it just hangs after a while and will not finish, iv also noticed that every time the pc is switched on the windows firewall is switched off even when i turn it back on on restarting its turned off again, anyway i decided to replace his avg with another anti virus so uninstalled avg and installed windows security essentials done a scan and it found a few nasties one especially named/or located at c:\widows\system32\ws2_32.dll. it tried to get rid of this but asked for a restart to finish the clean, but after restart it found it again, i then tried to go on the net but alas could not ie saying 'cannot connect' tried running an app called 'system care' but this would not run, decided to uninstall 'windows essentials' and install a different anti virus, after uninstalling 'essentials' i could get onto the net decided to download and install avast free all went well it found a few nasties again, tried to get onto the net and avast brought up a box saying it has stopped a malicious thing (?) from running which was the ws2_32.dll (as above) but again could not then get on the net, it seems the only way to get on the net is to have no anti virus on his pc, not good, is all this connected, and how do i fix this. thanks all. (added) after doing a bit of research on the net i found out that the pc needs this file to work properly, so it must be infected as the virus checker is telling me, posted this on other sites but never really got a proper answer on how to fix it, the narest was to down load a new (the same) dll file paste it into the folder were the corrupted file is when the message come up 'same file already exists do you want to replace with new one' to click 'yes' will this work, then someone said 'well that new file will have to be registered,
and i cant find were to find a new copy of the dll file. so any help will be great, thanks again.