WSJ: Blockbuster Preparing for Bankruptcy Filing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I haven't went to a blockbuster in YEARS, last I stepped in one was when they rented Super Nintendo's.

I'm surprised they lasted this long. the brick and mortar stores was just dinosaurs wandering aimlessly in a modern world.

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
It's no surprise, companies like this need to adapt quicker in offering there customers online services and shrinking there high street overheads in line with falling high street income until there 100% online. It's that or die.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]I haven't went to a blockbuster in YEARS, last I stepped in one was when they rented Super Nintendo's.I'm surprised they lasted this long. the brick and mortar stores was just dinosaurs wandering aimlessly in a modern world.[/citation]
i actually stepped in one recently just for kicks

i have to say, im always gonna miss going to BB to rent games and movies with my pops... but it was really disappointing to see that renting two games was a $15 "deal"... much more expensive than i remember

G

Its about time. The prices they charged for their movies and games was ridiculous.

sejin

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I have a local video store I use for renting my games at a much cheaper rate and buying them and I am not sad to see Blockbuster going away. I've always prefered supporting a mom and pop shop more than some chain store anyways.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
It's a shame in some respects. Every BB store in my area was always clean and spacious (including ample parking). The variety of media for rent was quite extensive, although it was geared mostly towards 'mainstream' tastes. Lord forbid the locals should be reminded they live in Europe, rather than Hollywood/Bollywood.

So, why were the stores routinely devoid of but a handful of customers? It doesn't make sense for them to be so bereft of eager eyes wanting to see the latest releases. There were also games on offer, ranging from the PS1 right upto the latest hardware. So why the lack of interest?

I think the reason was the cost of renting, which just kept going up and up. In the end I only really frequented BB to a) Get away from the filth, noise and crowds of other British stores and also b) to see what offers they had in relation to discounted stock. With the advent of faster broadband and more readily-available media you could see the writing on the wall with the increasing amounts of tapes and DVD's they used to pile in the bargain bin.

I couldn't afford to rent most of the films from Blockbuster, but I miss the appeal of shopping in local stores like this for their ambiance..perhaps I am biased because I can remember the thrill of renting in the 80's (including the times before the stupid British Government got it's knickers in a twist over 'video nasties'). More and more of our high street is vanishing in this manner, only to replaced with what? Boarded-up buildings attracting filth.

But hey who cares, right? We can just click on a button and download our escapism rather than having to go outside and seek it. Just wonder how long this appeal with last..

Jung

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
The time I rented Toxic Avenger from BB only to find that it had been nerfed was the start of my hatred for BB. Who want to watch Toxic Avenger with all the violent parts removed? It doesn't make any sense.

G

I worked at a Fortune 500 company that worked with Blockbuster - they didn't want any technology that would help the customers avoid late fees - those late fees were their huge profit and bonusus.

So I have no sympathy for them. I'm sure those same executives milked the company for millions more before killing it. Is anyone still so naive as to believe that companies exist to serve customers?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Blockbusters needs to start offering classes to teach people what not to do if they want to be successful! I can't think of any other company that took all the wrong turns during the last decade. This company had it all, and they could now be the super dominant power over the internet (for streaming media), but no... Pay attention future CEOs and CFOs - just because YOU think you are right, doesn't mean you are...

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Perhaps if they had reasonable prices in their stores, people would rent there. Blockbuster's pricing has always sucked, but now it is absolutely criminal. $9 to rent a game. Total BS.

I remember renting games for $2 apiece for the weekend, and later $3 when Video Central / Hollywood came around. Blockbuster was always $4 or $5 even then. I know inflation and such is an issue, but not to the tune of $9 for a game rental.

I for one would rather rent things locally if possible, because I don't want to have to wait for them to be delivered, but with their absurd prices it is simply not possible. I don't think brick and mortar stores are dying because people can't be bothered to drive a few blocks, but rather because they make no effort to compete price-wise.

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Between 'Turner Classic Movies' and bargain-bin DVDs, I stopped having a reason to go to Blockbuster a long time ago.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Does this mean that they will have to sell the DVDs/BDs they own? Ie. Circuit City.

That would be pretty awesome... Imagine, $5 for a good movie. There are a few movies that I'd actually put in my movie collection on my HTPC.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
When they want $8 to rent a Blu-ray for 2 days I have no issues believing that they are in financial trouble. Personally I will probably celebrate the eventual death of Blockbuster on my couch...with my Netflix...

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Blockbusters problem was their unwillingness to adapt, and their lack of inovation. When someone came out with a new way to deliver movies, blockbuster simply copied them, they never really tried to make it substantially better, or different than the competitions methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.