x265 encoding methods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
There aren't any good ones, stick with x264.

I did x265 in DIVX but I could get better quality in Handbrake at the same file size with x264. Since the only real advantage to x265 is file size it was ridiculous that DIVX had a minimum file size that didn't make sense.

Decoding x265 is also problematic since most devices don't have a hardware decoder so it's mainly a PC likely that could decode it in software.

I've tried basically ALL the good video software out there, and I've come back to Handbrake and optimized my profile for the best quality/size.

Here's my basic profile for Handbrake:
Profile-> High profile (MP4)
- anamorphic-> None
- Keep Aspect Ratio
- Cropping (as applicable)
- FILTER-> usually only Decomb for anything...

Mark_219

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Ripbot has an HEVC setting, I just set to 8bit, could play with other settings but the defaults are pretty good. I have it installed on 3 PCs and a Laptop, shared network folder and Distributed encoding enabled. This is the only encoder that I know of that lets you share the encoding work load among multiple PCs on your network. The main PC is running at 100% CPU, the rest in the 80's

flipflops2001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

As an audio engineer, I will only comment on the audio portion of this message.
AAC has the defaults of: quality (-q 100), bitrate (-b 48000), high frequency cutoff (-c 14000) and it is a lossy format.
Although 24bit FLAC/384k with a compression level of 8 is the audiofile way to go (and .mkv's will support that), but if you want a practical file size use [-q 500 -b 96000 -c 0], that would be maximum quality @ sampling rate of 96k and "FLAT" with no low-pass-filter, the one option that irritates me most of all. Don't folks know by now that by limiting the top end of the audio spectrum (and beyond) you remove all the transparency of the recording?

Now for those of you that will argue that the audio has already been compromised by the original process and it doesn't matter because you can't hear above 15khz, try these setting and tell me if you don't hear a difference. 48k sampling rate gives you a high-end audio response of 24khz. That means any type of program signal at 12khz+ will have no overtones since the first order of overtones would be 24khz, and that's why response above 20khz is important, even if we don't hear it. It's not our hearing limitations, but the way upper frequencies affect the waveform in the lower frequencies.

-Glenn
Audio Engineer 1974-present

ecou2508

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Why do you want to re-encode the audio tracks ???? Making a bullshity mkv with stereo aac... the day you buy an ac3 or dts(hd) receiver, you can send all your mkv to trash..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS