Xbox 360 Gets Price Hike in the UK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Umm.... yeah not sure I get this move myself. MS would really only do this price hike if they felt that the 360 was popular enough in the UK for them to get away with it. Still, it's kinda crappy for those buyers whom were thinking of getting one for their kid this holiday season.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Oh, and btw, it's still cheaper than the PS3 and it's still cheaper than any even PC that's even remotely comparable in terms of gaming performance.
True but the games are considerably more expensive for both the xbox and ps3. Plus games like cod4, if you want the map packs, thats another £8 for each map pack. I bought a ps3 quite a while ago now, and if I had the choice I dont think I'd bother again, nor would I buy an xbox for that matter. Seems consoles give the manufacturers a license to rip off gamers.
Any new games I buy will probably be for the PC.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]You don't need a 450 watt PSU to run a decent card. Although your right, most cheap PC's come with terrible PSU'sI ran an e2160 65nm @ 3.2 GHz (85% OC) and a OC'd 65 nm GTX 260 c192 and my max power load while doing folding@home on both the CPU and GPU was 380 watts. If one were to get a low consumption card like the 4770 they could most likely stick with whatever PSU they have atm[/citation]

For video cards what matters most is the amps provided on the 12v rails, right? So even if your wattage is covered, you could still have problems with your card if the PSU is cheap and the 12v rails are weak. Of course different cards have different power reqs like you say, and a lot of mainstream cards will work with cheap PSUs.

[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]This article is just a tad one sided, lets ignore the other missing half where the 360 elite dropped in price.[/citation]

They didn't ignore it. "Interestingly, the price jump for the Arcade SKU suddenly makes the Elite SKU all the more attractive. Effective today, the Elite SKU dropped 30 GBP, which is now 199 GBP." Sounds like they covered that side just fine to me.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]jecht[/nom]For video cards what matters most is the amps provided on the 12v rails, right? So even if your wattage is covered, you could still have problems with your card if the PSU is cheap and the 12v rails are weak. Of course different cards have different power reqs like you say, and a lot of mainstream cards will work with cheap PSUs.They didn't ignore it. "Interestingly, the price jump for the Arcade SKU suddenly makes the Elite SKU all the more attractive. Effective today, the Elite SKU dropped 30 GBP, which is now 199 GBP." Sounds like they covered that side just fine to me.[/citation]

A Ati 4670 uses less than 50 watts so you definetly wont need more than 14 amps on the 12 volt rail, a cheap psu can handle that, and performance wise the 4670 can play most games at high framerate at resolutions above 1280x720. So it easily beats the Xbox and Ps3

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its clever pricing and marketing.
Make the cheap more expensive, and the expensive cheaper. 40 pounds more for the "ELITE".
Its a small HDD for $65USD extra. Is that good value? No. Does M$ make more profit? Yes.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Silluete[/nom]@shrex, I think Ati 4670 don't need additional power... or i must delusional when install one in my pc.[/citation]

I never said it needs a additional power connector, what voltage rail do you think the pci-e slot and the motherboard use?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Thats ok.. the Australian dollar's going strong, and we still get ripped off. (atleast by Sony). I watched the Australian dollar go from 50USc to nearly $1US (before the GFC), and i didn't see anything drop in price...

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
The following is entirely my opinionated rant.

What's that I see, just around the corner? Christmas.

And Microsoft complaining about a fall in profits..given Microsoft's revenue. Yes, I smell something else and it's usually what bull's leaving behind a while after they've eaten.

So, good luck, those fine people in the UK who have created what is unquestionably a favourable market for Microsoft..the same people who stood by their console despite the overheating problem. The same people who buy legitimate versions of Microsoft operating systems.

And just to set the record straight. The UK has bore some of if not the, worst of the economic downturn. So go right ahead MS, kick them when they are down. Thank you very much and have a wonderful Holiday season this year. Looks like globalisation is great for lowering wages yet not so good for lowering retail prices, eh..either way M$ wins.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
For 40 GBP more, wouldn't you like to gain the use of the full Xbox 360 experience with the hard drive?

I feel that people would rather not pay such huge sums when they can barely afford to put food on the table. For those who do not have large pockets, the higher purchase prices in the UK can be absolutely astronomical; this is going to have an even greater impact on people's ability to pay it back.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]I feel that people would rather not pay such huge sums when they can barely afford to put food on the table. For those who do not have large pockets, the higher purchase prices in the UK can be absolutely astronomical; this is going to have an even greater impact on people's ability to pay it back.[/citation]

True, alot of people are waiting for consoles to reach the £100 mark before they will even consider buying it

Status
Not open for further replies.