Xbox One DVR Features for Gold Members Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I really hope for Microsoft's sake that it keeps a playable frame rate while recording... Also, that 500GB HDD isn't going to last real long. Its going to be a pain to have to keep deleting it. Also, how does it define the last 5 minutes of gameplay? Many online matches don't take the full time limit...

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I really hope for Microsoft's sake that it keeps a playable frame rate while recording... Also, that 500GB HDD isn't going to last real long. Its going to be a pain to have to keep deleting it. Also, how does it define the last 5 minutes of gameplay? Many online matches don't take the full time limit...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Fatboytyler, please understand how DVR works before running off your mouth - as it records the last 5 mins it deletes the older recording automatically, same as PVR TV boxes have been doing for years

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is why all this online funcionality sucks... Not because the technology itself is bad, but because of the way companies expoit it. So you have a hardware feature on your console that needs a subscription to work.... I could understand it if it used online resources, like recording and storing the video on Microsoft's servers, but really? I have to pay so I can record the game I play on MY device and record locally on MY hard drive? I bet I can find a recording device for 60$ to connect to my TV...
Can you Imagine how strange that would seem if it was done on the PC? I don't understand how they are allowed to do it on consoles...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sorry but it should not cost $60 to use a function that doesn't need to be online to connect at all.. just like forcing people to have xbox live gold to stream and video service is dumb, it costs m$ no money to let me access netflix or hulu through a console... when i get around to buying a console definatly going to be a ps4 (mostly play on pc but a bakcup console for playying when no internet available so can't play steam games is nice)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Microsoft is on a roll.

Zune -> Surface -> now trashing their Xbox line, wait to go, glad I sold your stock before I knew you guys would lose hundreds of millions on surface and I took a sizable profit on the trade

In case anyone doesn't know, in the past 15 years (since Xbox has been around) the Entertainment and Devices Division (includes Mobile) has lost billions, 85% of all Microsoft profit comes from Windows & Office, so a flop in Surface was expected based on pricing and product they delivered and with Windows 8 being a flop it was a must sell.

Balmer needs to go

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The sad part is how many people will defend this practice... I'm sorry, but paying for an online service to use a hardware level, non-online feature, is stupid. Even if they wanted to charge for uploading/sharing through their servers, why not just let people actually record without Gold? And anyone who has paid for Gold to use Skype, watch Netflix, or anything like hat, and has a PC at home, has REALLY been wasting $60 a year.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Yet another person says, "XBL Gold required for these features, therefore I refuse to buy", when exactly the same features and pricing model existed for the 360 - 77 million consoles sold and 46 million XBL subscriptions sold - people are already prepared to pay for XBL and this is just another premium feature you get with the XBL you would have paid for anyway - the fake outrage "I refuse to pay for that" is the same tired crap from people who never had an XBL account before so don't represent a lost sale, they represent the PSX camp that would never switch sides anyway

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
When you had to have Gold for Netflix is when I parked my 360... and this doesn't surprise me in the slightest... Give us $ just to use our stupid box even after you bought it. You must be connected to our service full time to DVR and you have to pay us for the privilege.. So sick of M$... Love my HTPCs...

cyphacipher

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Bought a 360, decided to watch some netflix (that i was already paying for)...360 tells me i gotta have xbox live to watch netflix....xbox went right back to the store and ive been ps3/pc ever since...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Xbox one better support ext HDD for DVR but highly doubt it. 500GB with everything else on it will not record much HD content on its own. Also $60 a year for Live Gold is better than ~$120 per year most cable/dish providers charge for DVR lease fees.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Recording the last 5 minutes of gameplay is a function few will use. But in all honesty, who would want an xbox one without xbox live?

Status
Not open for further replies.