Xbox One Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The Xbox One’s highly personalizable interface, live TV integration and improved voice controls--not to mention stellar graphics--make it a game console for the next decade.

Xbox One Review : Read more

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Other than decent specs the case indeed do look like an old style VCR. I can see opportunity for case mods in the future.

Tedfoo25

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Great review, but you made a mistake: the XBox One uses DDR3, not DDR5, RAM. DDR4 isn't even out yet (note that the PS4s GDDR5 is modified DDR3).

rickman33

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@Tedfoo25 ??? Where do you get this information? DDR4, like DDR5, is based off DDR3 technology. I'm not sure why you are saying it's not out yet. It came out before DDR5 but was quickly replaced. The PS4's DDR5 isn't any different than any other DDR5- it's quicker and mainly used in graphics cards (that's why the "G" is there- GDDR5).

Tedfoo25

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
@rickman23 You're getting confused between VRAM and standard RAM: GDDR5 is NOT DDR5. It is modified DDR3 with a higher clock speed. Consumer DDR4, as opposed to GDDR4, which has been used for quite some time, is due to start being used this December (it is 'out,' but no consumer motherboards support it yet). See this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5.

Either way, the XBox One uses DDR3 and not DDR5 RAM.

Tedfoo25

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
@rickman23 You're getting confused between VRAM and standard RAM: GDDR5 is NOT DDR5. It is modified DDR3 with a higher clock speed. Consumer DDR4, as opposed to GDDR4, which has been used for quite some time, is due to start being used this December (it is 'out,' but no consumer motherboards support it yet). See this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5.

Tedfoo25

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

rickman33

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Good article with only a little misinformation.
I don't agree with the reviewer in this aspect-
Fine, if he thinks paying $100 for (sometimes) being able to change channels with his voice is "justifiable". But because you think that price difference is reasonable is not a reason to say that it's the better console.
The article mentions exclusives, but not CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES- which the PS4 actually has more than the Xbox One. A handful of Xbox One exclusives aren't worthy of mention. I wouldn't call either console's launch games strong- both are pretty weak in my opinion. The PS4 is heavy with shooters- so if you can't get your fill with Call of Duty: Ghosts (which is not that great) or Battlefield 4, the PS4 has KillZone, Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution, So, the PS4 doesn't have a survival horror game or a fighting game at launch. That genre will be fulfilled soon. But, the Xbox One doesn't have a shmup, and the PS4 has a really goo one with Resogun. And, it's pretty misleading when the article reads "A more powerful CPU and GPU ensures next-gen graphics, even though it will be some time before developers tap this console’s full potential." Ummm...more powerful than the 360, maybe. Multimedia services on both systems are comparable. Though somewhat limited, I was digging into Crackle (movies and TV shows) on PS4 FOR FREE.
And with the cheaper PlayStation Plus, you get more for less. The one feature that stands out for Xbox is changing the TV channel with your voice, which shouldn't even be behind a pay wall like most of the services on the console.
The point is, the PlayStation is the better console. If you want to pay $100 more out of the box for the Kinect features (or $40 more than the PS4 with the camera to control changing channels with your voice), then the Xbox One MIGHT be for you, even though the PlayStation is the more powerful gaming console.
The next thing you'll need to compare is the exclusive games. If you HAVE to have Titanfall and/or Quantum Break, then go with the Xbox One. If you don't NEED those games, go with the PS4 which will have some cool exclusives of its own (Infamous, The Order: 1886, Uncharted, etc.)

rickman33

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@Tedfoo25 Thanks for the correction. I kind of jumped the gun. I overlooked the fact that they said Xbox uses DDR5 (I was thinking GDDR5), of which I knew GDDR4 was already here and gone. I did not know that there actually was a DDR4 in the works; I had thought the technology had "moved on". Like GDDR4, GDDR5 is based off DDR3 tech. So are you saying the PS4's GDDR5 memory is not really "normal" GDDR5 memory, but more like modified DDR3? Where can I see the specs/read about this?

PeggyRHall

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
my neighbor's sister-in-law makes $78/hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her check was $16854 just working on the laptop for a few hours. linked here .............. WWW.Fb49.COM

dancovich

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
@rickman33
The article may have mentioned that $100 was for essentially "changing channels" but that is not true at all. The extra $100 are just for the bundled Kinect, as confirmed by Sony saying if they included the PS4 Eye the price would also be higher.

If the game is console exclusive or MS exclusive is only relevant if you have a good gaming PC. If you don't then it's your decision to buy a X1 or a gaming PC and the first is usually cheaper (a good GPU alone can cost 300 bucks). Consoles are weaker but I did find that a console with a GPU equivalent to an AMD 7790 (as is the X1) is usually more powerful than a PC with an AMD 7790, simply because console games are heavily optimized to better use the GPU. Sure, a good gaming PC will put both PS4 and X1 to shame in terms of visuals.

And the point of the PS4 being the overall better console is your opinion. Many will share that opinion and many will disagree but I didn't see in the article any mention of which one is the better console.

Status
Not open for further replies.