News Xbox Series X pre-order disaster just got even worse — here's how

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
This sucks for everyone who didn't order from Microsoft directly but they aren't really to blame... It's the retailers really, they get 80% of the stock. Bots basically killed every site..even amazon and that's just unheard of. Amazon never goes down.

So scumbags ran bots and got most of the pre-orders (the dumb ones sell pre-orders the smart ones wait till after launch) and they crashed everyone's site in the process and now the people who actually got one before the sites shut orders down... We learn that most retailers oversold their allotment. That's such a jerk move by them. They should give away a free game of choice and you should have 6 months to pick the game.

I remember working at eb back in the day... We always oversold pre-orders. For the ps2 we oversold so much it took 3 months to fill them all and the really sad thing is we would get maybe 8 a week and we would sell half to walk ins.

I hated that launch so much. This one is quite similar but with demand for 2 consoles at the same time. Hopefully AMD was able to procure enough chips that they can both replenish stock at a decent pace and hopefully retailers are smart enough to limit to 1 per customer and also recognize repeat customers and stop selling to them.

docRhino

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
This is one retailer in the UK. Does this really mean it gets worse? PS5 was 2 minutes after one live stream and then never again. I at least got a preorder of Xbox Series X from Bestbuy and expect to get it. The PS5 I went to take a pee and it was all over by the time I got back.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
This sucks for everyone who didn't order from Microsoft directly but they aren't really to blame... It's the retailers really, they get 80% of the stock. Bots basically killed every site..even amazon and that's just unheard of. Amazon never goes down.

So scumbags ran bots and got most of the pre-orders (the dumb ones sell pre-orders the smart ones wait till after launch) and they crashed everyone's site in the process and now the people who actually got one before the sites shut orders down... We learn that most retailers oversold their allotment. That's such a jerk move by them. They should give away a free game of choice and you should have 6 months to pick the game.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
We can expect the same for AMD's Ryzen launch and GPU launch ...... It's not just Nvidia it's everyone

We don't know that... Ok we can probably assume lol but nvidias (basically) paper launch was entirely their fault. Samsung had more than enough capacity to make enough cards but nVidia put in a small order.

On the other hand TMSC is backlogged so AMD can only order so many chips and remember they have to order for ryzen on pc, GPU's on pc, APU's on PC, and customized and different APU's for Microsoft and Sony. So they really can't be faulted but nVidia absolutely can because like I said and it's easy to verify...they didn't even use 1/10 of Samsung's capacity. Literally every 3000 series chip could be from the absolute top tier bin.

Nightseer

Estimable
Jun 9, 2020
To be fair, in recent history there pretty much was no product that wouldn't be out if stock for at least 1 or 2 months. And that was before pandemic. As is, even more people are at home thinking about gaming to pass their free time, so naturally we are seeing unprecedented amount of demand. Now combine that with demand spike, because it is new console generation or new shiny graphic cards, or whatever and of course they can't possibly make enough. That is if course not even counting scalpers. Also let's not even forget all logistic issues with shipping and stuff, sure things started to kind of return to normal, but there still likely is a lot harder to find room for shiping, be it consoles, parts or materials. Hence why I never really push forward to buy things on rekease. I stead I will just sit back, relax and wait till supply catches up. That way I can wait and see full lineup from nVidia and AMD, then make informed decision and not rushing for first thing. Plus U can see whether 16GB 3070 and 20GB 3080 will be a thing. And console wise, PS5 isn't going to just disapoear, so I don't need it on release, I have plenty to play as is

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2016
This is one retailer in the UK. Does this really mean it gets worse? PS5 was 2 minutes after one live stream and then never again. I at least got a preorder of Xbox Series X from Bestbuy and expect to get it. The PS5 I went to take a pee and it was all over by the time I got back.
Keep expecting but let us know if you actually manage to get one on launch day or if they come up short.

docRhino

Prominent
Jun 11, 2020
Keep expecting but let us know if you actually manage to get one on launch day or if they come up short.
It's with UPS right now, it'll be here by tomorrow. Retailers have been pretty good about not waiting until the last minute to admit they don't have enough stock. At least online, not sure what would have happened if I was last to the store and they accidentally sold it.

Ok, it just showed up. Good to go.

Last edited: