Xonar DX vs DSX for my usages

xXCrossfireXx

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
I think we can all agree built in audio sucks most of the time. Well, my MSI Gaming 5 took mine to a whole new level. The front panel sound sounds like someone smashed the audio chip with a hammer, and the back panel sound is super quiet. It was inconsistently like this, until recently I tried to fix it and it just wouldn't work. So I decided it's time for a sound card.

Now I'm not one of those guys who needs crystal clear, 8 channel sound that has no electrical interference what so ever. All I really want is just good sound. So I found 2 potential sound card canidates: The Asus DSX and the Asus DX.

So I was reading about both of these sound cards, and it looks like the DX is better, which is pretty obvious since it costs approximately $30 more. The question I'm asking myself though is do I need that good sound?

So anyway like I said, all I need is good sound. I want sound that's better than the onboard audio of the MSI Gaming 5, but I don't want to break the bank. So should I get the DSX, the DX, or should I ditch both and get a different one?

Thanks

Solution
5.1 (6ch) or 7.1 (8ch)
this can refer to either how many speakers you can hook up (pc speakers) or also to virtual surround sound present (dolby headphone/cmss3d/sbx) so make sure you read what it refers to.

for headphones, its going to be all virtual and faked so no, not really much difference between 5.1 and 7.1 virtual. some people like it, some people dont as it distorts sound to make it seem 3d.
dx has the same dac as the $200+ stx does, just not the amp and a few features. its a great card if you're looking for good bang/buck. the onboard amplifier is not super strong though.

the creative z is a good choice as well. while the dac isnt as good, it does have a stronger amplifier.

while you dont need to buy a more expensive soundcard, it may be worthwhile depending on what you have hooked up to it.

xXCrossfireXx

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016

I'll be using Bose Sound Proof headphones

i cant say i've been impressed by bose headphones so doubt you really need to spend much money at all. just enough to get somthing better than onboard.

i used to own a pair (of bose) in the past and they missed out on so much detail compared with the cans i have now that i never used to hear the difference between low and high quality recordings.

if all you intend to be using is them, i'd say go for the cheaper options. if you intend to get something nicer in the future i'd get something better (though keep in mind any heavier headphones to drive will need an amp)

xXCrossfireXx

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016

OK thanks, but one more question. Is there really a difference between 5.7, 7.1, and 8 channels in audio?

5.1 (6ch) or 7.1 (8ch)
this can refer to either how many speakers you can hook up (pc speakers) or also to virtual surround sound present (dolby headphone/cmss3d/sbx) so make sure you read what it refers to.

for headphones, its going to be all virtual and faked so no, not really much difference between 5.1 and 7.1 virtual. some people like it, some people dont as it distorts sound to make it seem 3d.

Solution