XPS 15 9550 battery not working (inconsistent)

rafffmal

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
The battery either doesn't work at all (laptop dies as soon as unplugged) or it sort of works (only holds up to a certain percentage of charge). It's been happening for over a month now and I've not noticed any pattern, it is seemingly random. Yesterday it was stuck at 71% charge and worked for a few minutes on battery power before shutting off. Today it's stuck at 2% charge and shuts off immediately when unplugged.

Windows says it's "(plugged in, charging)" though the percentage is static. In the BIOS it reports "Excellent" health and there are no messages in the shut-off event logs. The Dell Diagnostics program doesn't report any problems. HWMonitor says the "Wear Level" is 17% and "Charge Level" is 1%, although Windows says it is at 2% today.

I've tried updating the BIOS to 1.5.1 (from whatever the previous one was) and the issue still occurs. I've uninstalled the battery and AC adapter from device manager and that didn't help.

Another thing I've noticed is it shuts off when the GPU is stressed even when plugged in. CPU stressing doesn't cause any issues, but GPU stressing (benchmarking, intensive games, etc) cause it to shut off within seconds. I don't think it's a heating issue since the GPU only reaches ~80C when the shutoff happens. My theory is the GPU tries to draw power from the battery, which causes the crash.

Any help would be appreciated because my laptop is essentially useless. The obvious things to try are unplugging/replacing the battery, resetting CMOS and trying a different AC adapter. I plan to do those things as a last resort but right now I'm looking for other solutions that don't require disassembly since I don't have the time for it.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
actually it sounds to me like the power in connection is barely hanging on if a GPU stress will crash it.
Remove the battery entirely and see if it still crashes. If it doesn't crash, get a battery, if it does crash, you have a fault somewhere on the power coming into the laptop either the connection or the DC/DC power board etc.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
actually it sounds to me like the power in connection is barely hanging on if a GPU stress will crash it.
Remove the battery entirely and see if it still crashes. If it doesn't crash, get a battery, if it does crash, you have a fault somewhere on the power coming into the laptop either the connection or the DC/DC power board etc.

odcard

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018

odcard

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
My dell xps 501x would crash on battery power and on wi fi. I updated the intell wi fi driver n everything is fine now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DarkKaiser Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 2
dipudangol Laptop Tech Support 8
Adnansattar Laptop Tech Support 6
CL19 Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
X Laptop Tech Support 5
J Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
H Laptop Tech Support 6
jomari29 Laptop Tech Support 4