Xps m1530 overheating

malphaz

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello, hoping i can find me some help here! =) Well anyway... here goes. My Dell xps m1530 loves to overheat and shutdown instantly on me... while gaming like in world of warcraft in a 25 man here and there i'll get a shutdown... and fallout 3 i can't even finish that game because of this bs =[ i looked at the temps using cpuid
cpu 88c 190f
DIMM 80c 175f
AUX 96c 204f!!!!!!!!
GPU 88c 190f
This is all from playing fallout3 on low settings... i think it has something to do with whatever AUX is... because it gets the closest to 100c... it's just insane. Please help me...

Solution
Laptops overheat, it's just something you'll have to live with. What you can do is buy a laptop cooler from your local computer store. What it is is pretty much just a big fan you put under your laptop that you can plug in via usb.

You mentioned world of warcraft causing it to overheat which is weird because I used to play it on the same laptop on near max settings without any problems so you probably have a buildup of dust in your heatsink too. I suggest cleaning that once or twice a year. You can find tutorials on how to clean it by a simple search and iirc there are videos on youtube which show step by step on how you can do it yourself.

Senai

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Laptops overheat, it's just something you'll have to live with. What you can do is buy a laptop cooler from your local computer store. What it is is pretty much just a big fan you put under your laptop that you can plug in via usb.

You mentioned world of warcraft causing it to overheat which is weird because I used to play it on the same laptop on near max settings without any problems so you probably have a buildup of dust in your heatsink too. I suggest cleaning that once or twice a year. You can find tutorials on how to clean it by a simple search and iirc there are videos on youtube which show step by step on how you can do it yourself.

Solution

malphaz

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Yea i use a cooler :D it definitely keeps my hands from burning off but still some over heats :)
But i do need to clean the fan i just need a small screw driver to get inside of it i watched this one guy clean his and wow there was an insane amount of dust in it! got me a can of air just need the thermal paste and a smaller screw driver now! thanks bud! =)

leadtrombone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

Well the first thing I need to know is did you run the required bios update to fix the nvidia issue.
The second thing is that the m1530 that I have came from the factory with badly applied thermal paste.

I changed the thermal paste on my machine to thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020&cm_re=mx-2-_-35-186-020-_-Product

Lastly have you cleaned the fan out they are bad for trapping dust.
The temps on mine dropped by 20 c with a clean fan and new thermal paste.

malphaz

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

Yep! i'm at bios version A12 every driver is updated :) one thing i do different though instead of dell drivers for the 8600m gt i use Nvidia's drivers because they are updated much much much more often! :)
And i still need to open up the fan and clean it from the inside i'm sure when i sent this laptop in because of the motherboard failing... they didn't replace or clean the fan out... if they didn't that means it's been almost 2 years without cleaning so I've been meaning to get into that... asap! god i can't imagine what it looks like!
Just need to find me the right size screw driver for the fan.. and i also need to buy some thermal paste! thanks bud! that -20c will be soooo nice lmao!

malphaz

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello again people!
Just would like to let you guys know i fount the solution incase others were having my problem. :)
I still haven't Gotten the thermal paste but my fan was sooooo cloged. it was insane!
I can feel air coming out of the back of my laptop now! It's Amazing. So i loaded up Fallout 3 once again!
And i was so happy not just my Temps droped quite a bit but i got wayyy more fps!
I even turned the settings up and from the temps i listed above i went too:
Cpu 77c Dimm 70c Aux 87c gpu 76c :D!!!
And that's just from Getting all of that dust that was clogging up the fan out i still need to apply new thermal paste which will do a great deal because the company barely put any one it and it's dried to hell... So!
That could be 5-10 less celcius i would be getting! Just amazing. I am very very very happy i won't be getting anymore random shutdowns! Hope this helped Also, i would like to mention the screws on the fan are pretty small. I went to walmart's hardware department and found a nice set of precision screwdrivers for 5$ not bad for what they did for me! =) Here is a Video that shows how to take apart and clean the laptop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUJfNno6dY&playnext_from=TL&videos=QSk8-uB-mxQ
Thx all! :)

sman26

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Hi Malphaz,

I was trying to view your Youtube video on how to clean the M1530 but it has already been removed. Any chance of posting it again or sending another link? I need to clean mine out and put on new thermal paste as well.

Thanks
sman

malphaz

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Sorry man :/ the guy removed the video it wasn't me :c but all you need to do is unscrew the bottom flap that covers the fan remove that then you need to unscrew the heat sync from the cpu and gpu then you can pull it out you will need a very small screw driver for the fan though i mean small like eye glasses i picked up a pack at walmart for 5$ called precision screwdrivers. Be very careful though good lick bud! you'll fine the dust clog inside the fan at the end of it it completely blocks it