Yes! A Real, Stringed Guitar for Rock Band 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Wait wait wait...Isn't every game ever made just about pressing the right buttons at the right times?[/citation]

Granted :) But you know what I mean :p

Really all these games have been is DDR but instead of dancing you simply press the buttons when told to with a plastic instrument. While the game play will technically be the same now at least it will actually teach people how to really play. Also learning to play a musical instrument is great for childhood development so this can be very beneficial to kids now.

What they should add is a neat feature to let people create their own music and upload it online for others to hear while giving all rights of the music to those who created it. This would be a great way to encourage young people to create real bands and maybe someday make it a successful career.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
100% awesome.

I wonder what pricing will be on this? Hopefully, the guitar itself will not be utter crap, so you will be making an investment on both a game controller and an actual musical instrument.

Well done. I thought about this from day one when Guitar Hero came out, and I'm glad to see that game developers (albeit not the ones for the Guitar Hero series) have been doing the same.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
That's pretty awesome - wonder what the price tag for that one's going to be, though. Wouldn't be surprised if the guitar alone had a price tag in the $200-300 range. While I'd love to be able to make use of this feature, I just can't justify dropping extra $$ on top of the guitars I already own.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]I'm not sure who they are marketing this besides the uninformed people or wannabes. There's much more to playing guitar than pressing down a fret and picking a string.[/citation]

Of course there is, but this seems like a great way to get people learning the basics, and I'll bet it will do quite a bit for fretboard familiarity.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
EPIC!!! But if a real squire guitar costs between $100-$150, I can only imagine how much that hunk of electronics and US manufacturing will cost...

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]hispeed120[/nom]100% awesome.I wonder what pricing will be on this? Hopefully, the guitar itself will not be utter crap, so you will be making an investment on both a game controller and an actual musical instrument.Well done. I thought about this from day one when Guitar Hero came out, and I'm glad to see that game developers (albeit not the ones for the Guitar Hero series) have been doing the same.[/citation]

It's a legit Squier Strat, so it ought to be decent - obviously it won't be the greatest guitar the world has ever seen, but it should be quality enough to play it without getting frustrated.

The only concern I have is about the degree of preciseness with which you'll have to play to get it to register notes accurately - specifically, how it's going to handle fretting multiple notes, but only picking/strumming one or some of all of the fretted notes. I hope they sort out things like this before it goes live. If they pull this off, I think it could be a great teaching tool.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
i can play a REAL guitar and have always thought the people who play rockband are missing out of the art, but with this...IF IT WORKS WELL.. it will get my money.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
or they could provide me with some awesome wire that means i can plug my ibanez into the console...And then use the pitch of the notes to detect whether i'm hitting it correctly.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hats off i can no longer slag on them. is like they took every negative comment i've made and completely turned their game around. it should actually help you get better at guitar!

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Oh great. Rock Band 3 is going to pave the way for more talentless hacks.[/citation]

Or it might inspire and teach someone with hidden talent.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've been complaining that people should just learn to play a guitar instead of these games. The video game gods have listen and delivered. I may actually buy this game if it isn't horribly priced. I think I'll eat this cake.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
If reviews will say that it teaches you how to play a real guitar, I might just buy one.

Old guitar hero seemed just stupid. A very old game of following some strings with a button, with music.

Status
Not open for further replies.