Yet another laptop buying thread

bilalha123

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some laptop buying advice, I mainly need it for coursework and gaming.

I want to be able to play games like Skyrim on high settings

I don't have a very restricted budget but I was hoping to spend around £700/$1000 or so.

The laptop I have in mind is a Lenovo Ideapad y410p, the one with the higher screen res @ $849

Can anyone suggest any other laptops around this price range that would be better?
I've got a few other ones in mind too but I'm not sure how they all compare to each other.

The Lenovo G780 is a similar price but I don't know which is better

And the Acer aspire v3-551g-x419 has pretty good specs considering the price, I know it's not as good as the others but if it works just as well for my needs then I'll consider it.

Can anyone please explain to me which one I should buy, or whether or not there's a different laptop that I've not mentioned that's better?

I don't care about hard drive space as I've got a 256gb SSD that I'll replace the hard drive with when I get the laptop, and I've also got 2x4gb ram sticks if I need them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

1. What is your budget?
£500-$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not picky, around 15" I guess

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1440x900 would be nice, don't need 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not important, I'm connected to a charger most of the time

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Skyrim on high settings if at all possible
GTA4 on high too

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
No other resource intensive tasks

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not important, I have a 256GB SSD that I'm replacing the HDD with.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Lenovo Ideapad y410p unless anyone can give me a better option

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A few years, I don't upgrade tech often

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not important

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not important

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Please read above
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks in advance everyone.