YouTube Goes Widescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmahoney

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I agree. Being "miffed" because the black bars are there is stupid. I mean, if it shrunk the 4:3 video by doing so, that'd be one thing. But not affecting it in any way? *sigh*

G

I love the new widescreen youtube. Everything seems so much better in widescreen.

Anyways, us widescreen lovers had to deal with letter boxes in the past, so what's the issue with letting the 4:3 lovers get the same black bar treatment for a while?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Wow we truly are in the age of the whiner. Also why the hell is this news?

I mean if whiners got news like this, there would never be any actually news.

G

Anyone who prefers to see 4:3 videos stretched out when viewing them on a 16:9 monitor is an idiot.

G

What the hell, when you went to fullscreen all 4:3 youtube videos had black bars to the sides , and still do, and still look the friggin same, so whats the fuzz? , also ALOT of videos where already widescreen and now scale properly to the wide aspect, its SWEET! also new content looks awesome!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i'm confused. how could this be a problem.
do they mean that when watching a 4:3 video they want the old player?
it will be ugly to have two standards, i liked the way comments section widened.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I still have an NEC 4:3 CRT,with a Resolution of 1600x1200.Probably the best displays for when it was made.Still is good.
22" wouldn't really be an improvement to me,so I'm obviously getting a 24" 1920x1200 resolution monitor...As for all the people using 16:9 on their monitors,I'm laughing at you right now.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
this has NOTHING to do with your monitor's aspect ratio or size.

If the youtube player is 4:3, ALL widescreen content is cut or compressed or black barred.

If the youtube player is 16:9/10, ALL 4:3 content is stretched or black barred.

It will be like that in the small window, and nothing will change when you go full screen. Your monitor size and shape could affect the amount and size of the bars you see...but when viewing content that is not native to the player, there WILL be bars either way. This will be most horrific on videos that WERE widescreen...and had bars added to make it 4:3 for the old player. Now that its BACK in a widescreen frame, there are bars on all 4 sides.

...and yes...many, many videos will now be smaller on screen.

Get a clue and stop talking about who has what monitor.

G

Ha ha, well black bars apply to old videos or incorrectly formatted video uploads. I used Moroz Video Capture, captured my Bioshock Gameplay and put it on the youtube on 11/25/2008 , so I guess I was the first one who got Bioshock in 1.77778 ration aspect ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.