youtube lagging at 480p

Solution

probably THIS.
I assume 720p and higher are even worse.

Youtube often buffers several seconds of data but then STOPS (it used to continue to buffer the entire video).

*So start the video, PAUSE it and wait for it to stop buffering (you'll see one of the bars go part way and stop). Once it stops buffering press PLAY. If it plays smoothly then your issue appears to be your network.

Other:
You can try different browsers though I doubt that will help (Google Chrome, Firefox, IE). It's also possible a different computer is playing video or downloading an update to something (or your own PC is).

You can also use "Speed test" to see what your ISP bandwidth should be. I get about 6Mbps for example which allows...

probably THIS.
I assume 720p and higher are even worse.

Youtube often buffers several seconds of data but then STOPS (it used to continue to buffer the entire video).

*So start the video, PAUSE it and wait for it to stop buffering (you'll see one of the bars go part way and stop). Once it stops buffering press PLAY. If it plays smoothly then your issue appears to be your network.

Other:
You can try different browsers though I doubt that will help (Google Chrome, Firefox, IE). It's also possible a different computer is playing video or downloading an update to something (or your own PC is).

You can also use "Speed test" to see what your ISP bandwidth should be. I get about 6Mbps for example which allows me to play Netflix HD content, though I still get throttled often in Youtube due to their servers being taxed.

Solution