Info YouTube TV FAQ: Pricing, Channels, Devices and More

NavySubmariner

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I love YouTube TV. yes, there's channels I wish they had, but that's like other services. I had vue, but they were missing channels I wanted as well. However, YouTube TV won me over due to their locals. Vue doesn't offer locals for Virginia Beach, YouTube TV does. Also, the unlimited amount of recording is a plus. Also, Vue keeps deleting channels, reshuffles its packaging, and increasing in cost. Anyone who makes the argument for Sling needs to think twice about their support for it. Yes sling has cheaper packages, but if you want both orange and blue, it is more than YouTube's TV package. The add-ons are rediculous for Sling and it's actually more expensive then VUE.

boogiman16

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I enjoy YouTube TV. The selling points for me were the interface, and the fact that the Boston channels include NESN, which I have not found on any other services.

The one drawback is the refresh rate. When I watch sports, I can really see the trail of the football and puck. Kind of bugs me but I'm hoping it will get better.

Mar 20, 2018
we have been happy with the streaming service since starting last year. we picked up a roku premiere plus so we could stream everything from one device. the app for roku however was delayed a couple of times until finally released about six weeks back. what i found using the roku was that the video quality was unwatchable. the video was very jittery, jerky, not smooth at all. the built in app on the samsung worked perfectly though?

i tried searching online for others with the issue found nothing. posted to several forums and nothing until last week. another with the same exact issue. could not watch on his tv using the roku to stream youtube tv. the PROBLEM was all to do with HDR. the roku default setting is to choose display type automatically e.g. 4K 60fps HDR which is what we have. there is where the bug lies. for some reason HDR via roku for youtube tv messes up the video portion.

Solution - go into the roku settings. find display and then remove the check from auto select and choose the setting below that for your tv but one without HDR. after doing that youtube tv video plays as expected. hopefully someone will fix this bug soon.

samsung & roku owners if video problems that's why. fyi the built in youtube tv app on the samsung has worked perfectly from day one. fyi neither youtube or roku support were able to help on this bug let alone acknowledge it even existed. forums have always been a great resource for information now more than ever IMHO.

Apr 3, 2018
Am I able to extend the recording time for sporting events? to allow for overtimes and sudden death playoff's that will extend beyond the regularly scheduled times?

Jun 10, 2018
Youtube , Dirdctv Now , PlayStation Vue and any and all the rest will continuously raise their prices as they add more and more. After awhile , the prices will be no different than Satellite and Cable. I for one refuse to use these streaming packages.

Jun 27, 2018
Hey, at least Net Neutrality will keep the corporations from messing around with the speed (which now means quality) of all this new digital service!

Oh, wait.

Oct 10, 2018
The YouTube TV app isn't available on the Amazon Fire TV box because of an ongoing feud between Amazon and Google. So keep that in mind.

Oct 30, 2018
Tom, comparing Youtube tv to Sling is apples and oranges. On Sling you cannot skip commercials, on YoutubeTV you can. I happily pay more to not be tortured by endless commercials.

Oct 10, 2018
The article really needs a rewrite as you have to get through the really old pricing and channel lineup to determine what is actually offered. They do need to fix the refresh rate for sports. I watch basketball and auto racing and have to force quit the app every so often as it starts looking like a grainy old kinescope. There are a few issues that are related to specific channels like the music that ESPN plays when the over the air version breaks away for commercials but this is all just growing pains. The essentially infinite DVR is very hard to beat as well as the ability to start a live show that is in progress from the beginning.
The Sling offerings remind me of the tiers of cable TV and they lost me right there. PlayStation Vue just didn't offer enough extra for me to go with them.

Ed the C

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
I really like Youtube TV. HOWEVER, there's a catch for me. Suddenly I found I am going over the Cox Cable limit of 1Tb per month. Had to pay extra for unlimited. All of a sudden the price to "cut the cord" is about the same as the cord! So I advise one to check their Internet provider for data caps prior to signing up for one of these services. FYI I average about 100G per day, with only a couple of hours of TV time, so beware.

Apr 17, 2019
My wife loves DIY stuff so a lot of these additions were great, but the price is quite high. We just use YTFam to only have to pay 19.99 a month to get YTTV.

Apr 28, 2019
Can't say i would recommend Youtube Premium to anyone. Lets be honest with ourselves here, I could pay netflix my 10 bucks a month, and actually get the shows for free. Watch what i want and think nothing of it. With Youtube, im paying for what exactly? 12.99 a month for less than 20 "original" shows, and with the exception of Wayne and Kobra Kai they all suck terribly. On top of that, I have to pay for everything else!
Wanna watch a single episode of any show besides their "Youtube Originals"??? Well, you Better fork over 2.99 for each freaking episode! Honestly, this is simply ridiculous.
I will stick to paying netflix my roughly 10$ a month, and happily wait that extra 2 weeks for my show to be added, over spending 10$ a month for a youtube subscription, then paying youtube even more fuckin money for any show i want to watch that isnt one of their originals. Like why,, why would i spend 10 a month on youtube, plus 2.99-4.99 per single episode, or even 20$ for a whole season, when Literally almost everything they have is available on netflix, for ONE single sum of 10 bucks a month?

Sep 3, 2021
YouTube TV would be pretty good IF it actually worked as it is advertised. My experience has been that the DVR function works for some shows but not others. I reported the specific issues with screenshots to youtube tv support on July 17, they said they would get back. On July 20th I asked for a date when they expected to have the problem fixed, they declined to commit to a schedule for a fix. I asked again for a scheduled date for the fix on July 26th and Aug 30th. It's now September and I still have no idea if or when the recording failures will be fixed. This product costs to much to only record some of the shows that you want. While their product support has been very polite, it is completely ineffective.

Apr 11, 2023
I don't think you know what "cutting the cord" means. It's not just canceling cable TV and buying what is...essentially online cable TV...