YouTube TV vs DirecTV Now vs Sling TV vs PlayStation Vue: Face-Off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_176

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Some of this isn't right. I pay $35/ month for Vue and can simultaneously stream on multiple devices, including Roku.

NavySubmariner

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Your article is innacurate, lol. Vue allows for 5 streams. I stopped there as your article is a paid advertisement for YouTube.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

I'm correcting that in the article now. The original statement was made from incorrect information. Thanks for your help.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

And while you yourself pay that much for Vue right now, that rate is no longer offered.

Brandon_176

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

That's not true. You can get the Access Slim package for $29.99, and also still sign up for the Core Slim for $34.99. I have the Core Slim. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

There are some markets that have live local broadcast networks, and Vue charges more in those markets, but those are not the 'core' packages.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Thank you for pointing this out, I've updated the story accordingly. PS Vue makes it terribly hard to know about these tiers, placing the mention of them in faint text and forcing you to sign up for a free trial before showing pricing and listing.

Brandon_176

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

They do, and thank you for writing this article. Certainly, it's main purpose is to get info out on Youtube TV and to contrast it with other services. As far as I can tell, this is the best written article out there so early after the announcement of Youtube's new service. Thanks again.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Thank you for your help, goes to show the value of polite comments and an informed public.

N7AS

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
With YouTube TV, don't forget that your internet bandwidth will drastically go up. That means you will pay for large overages. Don
t forget that MOST Cable TV/Internet providers have a cap on bandwith.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. We updated this article to include more PS Vue packages.

Phil_43

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Do all of them have Closed Captioned. I had some frustration to get subtitles on CBS and other channel not like as Cable TV.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I checked. Comcast gives you 1TB which should be enough. Worst case scenario they offer unlimited for $50 more. Considering I'll save over $100 by switching from dorecTV it's still a savings even if I had to upgrade my Internet.

Kirsten_3

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I live in Indianapolis, and my Vue is $30/month, but with only on demand access to ABC and nbc, and no CBS.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Thank you for noting this. Because of how PS Vue obfuscates those plans, it's hard to know about these cases. I've noted in the article that the Slim packages may not be as complete for broadcast.

Daniel_450

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I have been using Vue for a while and I'm pretty happy with it. It was a bummer when they lost the Viacom contract and Comedy Central, Nickelodean, and a few others disappeared.
The most important thing to me was getting local sports channels. Living in the Bay Area I was all in when I heard that I would be getting CSNBA and CSNCA.
Vue has added HBO and Showtime since I started using it which is nice.
At the $35 package i get my local CBS channel, but only OnDemand for ABC, FOX, and NBC. Not having CW is a drag though, I miss Flash.

WhiskeyTang

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Why is Vue's cloud DVR listed as "limited"? Sure, Youtube will save your shows for 9 months instead of 1 month on Vue but Vue's DVR is already unlimited. You can DVR (read: add to My Shows) every single thing that airs. There's no indication that Youtube's DVR will be more robust or offer the ability to DVR the shows that are limited to On-Demand on Vue. The only difference is the 9 months vs. 1 month. Plus I'm sure PlayStation is looking into extending its DVR expirations now with the new competition.

Tithulta

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Youtube TV paid advertisement? Verdicts were ridiculous. guess what I can buy an antenna and get my local channels FOR FREE, pay $25 for Sling and get all the channels i prefer except Fox News. Blue Orange and I get everything I ever occasionally watch with the sports package. Don't need 60 channels if i only watch a handful of them to begin with. Oh and i'm on comcast internet, so far no data cap. #FTW_ROKU_SLING

Status
Not open for further replies.