YouTubers Boycott Viacom In Campaign For Right To Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It would be much more POSITIVE and MEASURABLE to ask everyone to click through to Viacom's main PRIVACY page.

The immense traffic would send a quantitative signal to Viacom (namely the number of pissed off customers).

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
This whole thing is kind of a joke to me. Seems like an invasion of privacy to me. However, I agree that Viacom has every right to demand any of their products be removed from Google. And perhaps the right to know who is uploading the copywritten material. But obtaining a list of IP addresses for everyone who ever viewed any of that material is crap.

Not every IP address logged necessarily tells of a person who sat and watched a full length movie. All you have to do is click on a link, and the videos typically auto-start. You could then immediately click another video link and have never actually even viewed the material.

This opens up a huge can of worms for online privacy rights. Now any website you visit that records IP addresses, can be ordered to give out any/all information on their user's IP identities without a warrant being issued for such a search in regards to each individual person. Therefore, companies, or even the government perhaps, could order Google to give up IP information on anyone who ever searched for "XYZ" and then use that IP address to identify a person's location, without ever being issued a warrant for that person.

Take things like this, and throw in the "Patriot Act", and good ole Uncle Sam (Bush Administration) can do whatever they want. Won't be long before judges start allowing every constitutional right to be shredded apart.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I do not agree that anyone have right to see what ever i am watching or not. Particulary in my country i have right watch what ever i want.
And US court dont have any rights over users not from US whatsoever and revealing personal informations (and yes even IP is personal information and as it is also protected, at least in europe) could break laws in other countries.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I strongly disagree with the records disclosure and agree that it is an invasion of privacy. This is the equivalent of a book publisher going to Amazon and getting all their purchase records to track down those who had illegally copied their product. A company who wins records should only have access to those records related to their product and/or service.

As to the boycott effort, it will fail. How many people stopped buying new and used music when the RIAA began its suing? I know of only myself in my community. I also have not and do not illegally download music - those that do are actually encouraging someone out there to buy it first. (I will occasionally pick up a local musicians self-produced CD gladly, as I know they are getting most of my money).

Who out there can tell me all the products Viacom makes? Who are their subsidiaries, and is there a parent company we should be aware of? How much of your daily life would you have to rip out to boycott them? I don't have the answer without doing a lot of research - and I know that most people are unwilling to go without what they want and/or desire.

G

I definetly think that Viacom is going wayy to far on that one so yes I will Boycot Viacom and do so by downloading for free all their content I wish to view (legaly since i live in canada).

G

Sure, let's give all the Records to any big corporation that is asking.
And while we are at it, let's also drop these stupid 'search warrant' requirements for the government agencies.
After all, we are nothing but cattle raised to consume whatever crap Big $$ corporations shove down the chute.

That's why Europe makes better cars, why Korea has a faster Internet and we can't even win a war against a 3rd world nation without going broke :)

Cheers to y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.