Zuckerberg Paying Over $1.5B in Taxes Thanks to IPO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]It's good to see the law is imposed for once so we don't see Zuckerberg pay zero taxes like other corporate weasals (Google, GE, etc) who blatantly try and do everything to pay as little taxes as possible, GE taking the cake for paying none at all.[/citation]

Never cared much for Zuckerberg, and I never jumped on the bandwagon of Facebook to make fake friends.

Larry King once asked Bill Gates how much he pays in taxes when Bill and His father were being interviewed, Bill said he pays 6 Billion in taxes!!! That's besides what his foundation gives to charities.

G

We need to elect Mitt Romney so Zuckerberg can get a tax break.

We don't need schools and roads as badly as Zuck needs a new luxury yacht the size of Rhode Island, and if we cut taxes enough, we might even be able balance the budget and triple defense spending to 30 times what the next country spends.

G

1. He dropped out from Harvard.
2. It's spelled Stanford, not Standford.
3. Stanford is officially Leland Stanford Junior University, which is a great joke here at Cal! Go Bears!

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
[citation][nom]JECHO[/nom]Facebook is crap. Upload personal data about yourself. Real smart. Allow the government to monitor your life, really smart. People should boycott facebook.[/citation]
What exactly do you think is on Facebook that the government cares to read? How many beers you drank last Friday? Who every 15-year old is dating this week? That you're studying liberal arts at a community college? Yeah, real sensitive info. /tinfoilhat

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
FB only puts out what YOU put in it! Also FB can be used as a tool for raising money for charity or good causes and other social events but some people choose to focus on one negative aspect.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]sarkazm[/nom]We need to elect Mitt Romney so Zuckerberg can get a tax break. We don't need schools and roads as badly as Zuck needs a new luxury yacht the size of Rhode Island, and if we cut taxes enough, we might even be able balance the budget and triple defense spending to 30 times what the next country spends.[/citation]
you nailed it there, buddy. I was about to post something similar. Problem is, too many people in Congress think like Romney, because themselves have some money to hide from the taxman. The President alone could never impose a big change like that.

klussic

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Why should Zuckerberg pay any taxes to the US government?!?!? Facebook is a GLOBAL company not an American company, so it makes no sense to bitch and complain about not paying American taxes. Who in their right mind would want to pay taxes if they didn't have to? Think about someone other than yourself.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]So glad I left FB a while back and never looked back.[/citation]
Why do people talk about "leaving" a website as if anybody cares? It's as interesting as reading some random internet troll's political comments.

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
[citation][nom]JECHO[/nom]Facebook is crap. Upload personal data about yourself. Real smart. Allow the government to monitor your life, really smart. People should boycott facebook.[/citation]

forever alone

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]The great American dream. Land of promises.is dead.If you try to work hard and do well, the govn't will tax you to death. Better off not working and collect welfare, cause it's easier.[/citation]

I'm sure Zuckerberg feels like that right now, what a clown eh.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]HEXiT[/nom]every 1 should pay there taxes not just the middle class. if you earn more than you should pay more... to many of the top 1% dont pay taxes. they are not only dodging there responsibility to the country that gave them the opportunity to make that money. they are stealing from there own pockets in the long run... if you create jobs your companies grow creating more wealth for you in the long run, but most of em want there money now... seriously whats the point of hoarding billions when you can never spend it... all your doing is depriving others and causing them to resent you...[/citation]

Not targetting you solely but pretty much everyone who uses that statistic. Do you know what defines the top 1%? Earning approximately 250,000-300,000 dollars a year and above. That's doctors, lawyers, low-level executives, and two-adult households.

When you start throwing around this top 1% malarky, I'm positive you mean people that earn 1 million+ a year. But that isn't everyone. It isn't even most of them.

Working people who happen to have high-paying degrees and are reasonably competent fit in that category.

Something to remember when you demonize this ill-explained 1%.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I even found a credible source for you all. I was mistaken when I included those earning less than 300K a year. It's actually a range of 300K to 400K+.

According to Professor Brad Heim, an economics professor at Indiana University's School of Public and Environmental Affairs, approximately 86% of the top 1% earn their fortunes in non-fincancial fields. 31% started or manage non-financial businesses, 16% are doctors, 8% are lawyers, 5% are engineers, and 2% are in media and entertainment.

That means that only 45% of the top 1% potentially earn their money by being corporate fat cats (I say potentially because "non-financial businesses" is very vague and doesn't describe the variance of income levels and thus doesn't describe how many are making millions and how many are simply well off) while the other 55% are earning their money through recognized specializations.

(I know that many percentage points aren't accounted for, the article I found apparently didn't list all earning types)

Source: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=84584

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Still 35% tax is too much. that stock deal is a one time thing. So its not like its yearly income at that amount. so thats why 35% is insane. hes being robber by the government!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"taxed at the top U.S. marginal income tax rate of 35-percent" you american lot have an easy time!
Here 39% taxes + some for unemployment securing is sorta the minimum, and the top tax is well above 50% for the main job. If I'd take on a secondary job while having my fulltime job I'd be taxed 65% for it....

Status
Not open for further replies.