Zynga Patenting Non-Refundable Virtual Cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Is it too late to patent the concept of writing software? How about simply a patent on companies that begin with the letter "Z"?

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
This patent should be summarily rejected as the idea is already out in the public domain as evidenced by the several MMO's that already allow players to do this. The USPTO should be rejecting patents for stuff already out there. This is the same thing as someone trying to patent the wheel, but then again, I'm sure someone's probably tried that one too. . . . . .

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I doubt they will get it, it fails the novelty condition of getting a patent since other places have been using it a ton. If it does pass can they just to licensing fees for using virtual currency in real monopoly money?

GoneFishing36

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
lol, this reminds of buying Perfect Gems for Diablo II only $2.00! you can file all you want, but that doesn't mean you automatically get the patent.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I think they should not be able to patent something that has been in use before their patent, its not exactly new technology, patenting software like this is just stupid, but then thats how the american patent system is, no doubt someone would patent breathing if they could.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]hunter315[/nom]If it does pass can they just to licensing fees for using virtual currency in real monopoly money?[/citation]

I hope that part of the patent application actually describes it as buying monopoly money - given that's a fairly well known term

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And here we go with another patent that shouldn't even see the light sadly i wouldn't be surpriced if it will. Some greens here and there and even new laws could be lobbied - just a matter of how much! The patent system need a reboot, its infected with a virus thats called Greed_At.Any.Price!

[citation][nom]garborg[/nom]Can you patent something people have been doing already for years??[/citation]
According to the rules, no.
In practice, unfortunately yes. It seems that most of the software patents one hears about in the news (ie, those that are sued over) are for things that have been done for years. Like clicking on a link to buy something.
The US Patent Office seems to have lost track of the idea of "Prior art." Then again, didn't someone patent the combover?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]According to the rules, no.In practice, unfortunately yes. It seems that most of the software patents one hears about in the news (ie, those that are sued over) are for things that have been done for years. Like clicking on a link to buy something.The US Patent Office seems to have lost track of the idea of "Prior art." Then again, didn't someone patent the combover?[/citation]
Yeah, it's a shame we have to rely on the courts to review prior art. However, I really doubt this patent would even hold up in the eastern district of Texas. How long has guild wars been around doing microtransactions? let alone the 360 marketplace.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Yeah, it's a shame we have to rely on the courts to review prior art. However, I really doubt this patent would even hold up in the eastern district of Texas. How long has guild wars been around doing microtransactions? let alone the 360 marketplace.[/citation]

How about we bring up Nexon, which has been doing these transactions forever. They basically started the full virtual currency thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.