Question Gateway Notebook Glitch

Mr Ed@1944

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
Hello, All. I'm new here and this is my first post. I have a Gateway 2-in-1 notebook, purchased late 2023, which I've been quite pleased with. The OS is Windows 11.

This glitch started about 2 months ago:

>As soon as I log in a fluttering black aberration (don't know how else to describe it) appears at the bottom of the screen, obliterating the task bar. With some difficulty, I'm able to locate the start button. However, this aberration makes using the device impossible because the fluttering gradually gets larger and eventually obliterates (or hides) whatever is on the screen.
>I've found if I restart my device, it fixes the problem until next restart.
>What I do now is, when I get to the log-in screen I restart my notebook (without first logging in). The problem is then fixed until the next usage.
>So, I can get by just restarting the device. Even so, it would be nice to know what's going on and does it mean some component is breaking down. I'm otherwise pleased with this Gateway Notebook and use it as my primary computer.
Thanks in advance for your assistance. Ed

Mr Ed@1944

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
For @Mr Ed@1944 this sounds like a warranty issue.

The same, potentially for @joerehan , depending when purchased.
Thanks for the reply, COLGeek. Rather than pursue a warranty repair I'll just leave things as is. Temporarily repairing the glitch (as I described) is quite easy and takes only a few moments. Besides, my device didn't cost me any $$. It was purchased on a gift card.;)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for the reply, COLGeek. Rather than pursue a warranty repair I'll just leave things as is. Temporarily repairing the glitch (as I described) is quite easy and takes only a few moments. Besides, my device didn't cost me any $$. It was purchased on a gift card.;)
I would still pursue a warranty action as these issues rarely get better.

By the way, have you ever connected to an external display to see if the problem appears there as well?

Mr Ed@1944

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
For @Mr Ed@1944 this sounds like a warranty issue.

The same, potentially for @joerehan , depending when purchased.
Thanks for your advice, my friend. I don't have purchase info for this device anymore, so I won't pursue a warranty claim. Plus, as I said. the glitch isn't a major problem, and easily fixed each time I log in. Of course, it could get to the point where my device becomes unusable. I have several additional computers that I can use in that case, such as an iPad plus several Android devices. I've also been toying with getting a Chromebook, but I'm so used to Windows, I may just stick with that. Thanks again. Ed

BTW, I don't have an external display.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for your advice, my friend. I don't have purchase info for this device anymore, so I won't pursue a warranty claim. Plus, as I said. the glitch isn't a major problem, and easily fixed each time I log in. Of course, it could get to the point where my device becomes unusable. I have several additional computers that I can use in that case, such as an iPad plus several Android devices. I've also been toying with getting a Chromebook, but I'm so used to Windows, I may just stick with that. Thanks again. Ed

BTW, I don't have an external display.
Do you have a TV with a HDMI port? If so, that can serve as an external display.

Mr Ed@1944

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
Do you have a TV with a HDMI port? If so, that can serve as an external display.
Thanks again, ColGeek, for your helpful suggestions. You mentioned using my TV as an external display. Being handicapped and wheelchair-bound (and only able to use my right arm), I would find using your suggestion to be very difficult, if not impossible to implement.

There's no reason to continue this thread since my device's problem doesn't prevent me from using it. That being said, I think we'll end here. At any rate, I sincerely thank you for your kind assistance, and look forward to future discussions on this forum. Ed

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks again, ColGeek, for your helpful suggestions. You mentioned using my TV as an external display. Being handicapped and wheelchair-bound (and only able to use my right arm), I would find using your suggestion to be very difficult, if not impossible to implement.

There's no reason to continue this thread since my device's problem doesn't prevent me from using it. That being said, I think we'll end here. At any rate, I sincerely thank you for your kind assistance, and look forward to future discussions on this forum. Ed
My pleasure. Good luck.