All Dell computers use Service Tags to help identify them. The tag is a unique seven digit code that you use whenever you need to download drivers, get help or identify compatible accessories. Alongside the Express Service Code, the codes are your gateway into the Dell ecosystem.
There are three places Dell usually places the tags, in the software, under the badge and underneath the laptop. Where the Service Tag is depends on the hardware in question. For laptops it is usually underneath or under the badge. In a desktop it can be at the back near the ports or behind the drive door at the front. Smaller devices have the Service Tag underneath.
Other ways to find the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 AIO Service Tag
The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 AIO Service Tag is underneath the flip up XPS badge on the outer case. There are other ways to find it if it becomes dislodged or lost. You can find the Service Tag in the system BIOS or within Windows or Linux.
Find the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 service tag in the BIOS.
1. Turn off your device and reboot.
2. Press F12 while the system powers on.
3. Navigate to System Information and you will see the Service Tag in the right pane.
If you use Windows, you can interrogate the system to find the Service Tag.
1. Open a CMD window as an administrator.
2. Type or paste ‘wmic bios get serialnumber’. The Service Tag is the serial number that appears underneath the command.
3. Close the CMD window.
If you have installed Linux on your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, you can still access the Service Tag.
1. Open a terminal.
2. Type or paste ‘sudo dmidecode -s system-serial-number’. The Service Tag will appear underneath the command.
3. Close the terminal.
Finally, you can install the Dell SupportAssist application if you use Windows. It comes installed on the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, but if you perform a clean installation of Windows, you will need to download the agent from Dell.
1. Open or download the Dell SupportAssist application.
2. Once opened, your Service Tag should be displayed in the first screen on the left.
3. Note the Service Tag and close Dell SupportAssist.