$1,000 for three Christmas Items

dudka

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
My parents are near retirement and would like to update their technology. They've tasked me with finding them the solution.

Needs/Wants:

Father: web browsing only (streaming and basic surfing)
Mother: web browsing for shopping and Microsoft Word (CV writing)
Both: Wireless printer

Ideally, I would like to grab two laptops and the printer for under $1,000. Maybe a chromebook for my Dad... one of those new Microsoft (chromebook style) laptops. I don't think she could handle Google's online documents. And, the printer for a few hundred bucks.

Is this logic sound or no? The hard part will be getting laptops that they can actually see. Currently, they're running with a 15" something laptop. But, I would really like for them to each have their own. Plus, I feel an internet only laptop will stop them from downloading god knows what and slowing down the PC.

Thanks for any input!

Solution
Laptops are always lost-leader products for Black Friday type sales. I would get two identical units, because then YOU only have to remember how to support one type.

To prevent them from downloading junk, don't give their logins admin privilege. Setup the laptops with TeamViewer so that you can remotely get in to help them.
Setup the web browser to high security for them. Find a secure e-mail client. Install an anti-virus. Basic stuff ...

If they can accept black and white printing, get them a laser rather than inkjet. Supply costs are much lower and if they don't print a lot, the ink won't dry up over time.

kanewolf

Judicious
Laptops are always lost-leader products for Black Friday type sales. I would get two identical units, because then YOU only have to remember how to support one type.

To prevent them from downloading junk, don't give their logins admin privilege. Setup the laptops with TeamViewer so that you can remotely get in to help them.
Setup the web browser to high security for them. Find a secure e-mail client. Install an anti-virus. Basic stuff ...

If they can accept black and white printing, get them a laser rather than inkjet. Supply costs are much lower and if they don't print a lot, the ink won't dry up over time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS