1 in 10 American Smartphone Subscribers Owns an iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A cheap, awesome phone is better than an expensive, crap iPhone.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Insults aside I expect the iPhone has an unusually high ratio of Subscribers (People who have purchased it on a plan) to people who have purchased it outright because of the price...

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
25 million sheeps...

[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Finish reading the paragraph "Apple, however, is the only top 5 brand whose market share is growing." I'm not sure who the top 5 brands are but I could infer that they could include LG/Moto/Samsung.[/citation]
There's another sheep born every minute... Another table showed that Samsung's % didn't change and LG/Moto/RIM dropped. Maybe there are other companies not in the top 5 increasing their market share rapidly (lke HTC)?

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]25 million sheeps...There's another sheep born every minute... Another table showed that Samsung's % didn't change and LG/Moto/RIM dropped. Maybe there are other companies not in the top 5 increasing their market share rapidly (lke HTC)?[/citation]
Guess you were born a minute ago?
There's only one table in the article, if you referring to the table in the article on cnet another person posted, then you're comparing 2 different data sets and clearly have poor reading comprehension.
The article we're posting on is referring to United States sales, and the cnet article is showing data for Global Sales. Now, this may be news to you, but there are other Country's on the Globe other then the United Stats.
But seeing how you were born a minute ago, I guess I can't expect you to understand this right away... give it some time maybe it'll sink in through that soft baby skull of yours.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Guess you were born a minute ago?There's only one table in the article, if you referring to the table in the article on cnet another person posted, then you're comparing 2 different data sets and clearly have poor reading comprehension. The article we're posting on is referring to United States sales, and the cnet article is showing data for Global Sales. Now, this may be news to you, but there are other Country's on the Globe other then the United Stats. But seeing how you were born a minute ago, I guess I can't expect you to understand this right away... give it some time maybe it'll sink in through that soft baby skull of yours.[/citation]

Do you even bother looking at the source of the article?

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]Do you even bother looking at the source of the article?[/citation]
yes.

And I have this feeling you don't know what's going on right now.

Have you ready the other comments to which I was originally inferring?

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]yes.And I have this feeling you don't know what's going on right now.Have you ready the other comments to which I was originally inferring?[/citation]

Not yet, when I first posted.

After looking at the cnet article, I don't get where you see my post talking about that article when I clearly said Samsung didn't change market share.

Want me to rephrase myself? 25 million estimated sheep in the US. Happy?
Wait, if you're offended by me calling you a sheep, it's not directed at you. Just to be clear. It's a simple math problem. Just saying more iCrap = more sheep.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]Not yet, when I first posted. After looking at the cnet article, I don't get where you see my post talking about that article when I clearly said Samsung didn't change market share.Want me to rephrase myself? 25 million estimated sheep in the US. Happy?Wait, if you're offended by me calling you a sheep, it's not directed at you. Just to be clear. It's a simple math problem. Just saying more iCrap = more sheep.[/citation]
Ok so you quoted me for no good reason then?

Where are you getting this 25million number? According to this article about 9.8million people own iPhones, and little less then 25million own Samsung smartphones.

So you're saying more iCrap = more sheep, and also Samsung users are also sheep since there are closer to 25million of them?

If you made sense this back and forth would go a lot smoother.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Is this guy paid by apple or something?, he says only apple in the top 5 are are growing...
I CALL BS did he not notice that from july to october while apple share grew buy 1% ONLY,,
google shares grew by 4.4, by the way by shares i mean market share.

ITS ON THE FRIGGIN TABLE.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Ok so you quoted me for no good reason then? Where are you getting this 25million number? According to this article about 9.8million people own iPhones, and little less then 25million own Samsung smartphones.So you're saying more iCrap = more sheep, and also Samsung users are also sheep since there are closer to 25million of them?If you made sense this back and forth would go a lot smoother.[/citation]
My numbers we're calculations based on the data.
10.8% of 234 million phone subscriber = 25.272 million
28.1% of 90 million smartphone = 25.29 million

I quoted you to say that you are correct (which I forgot to mention. missing only RIM in the top 5). Saying that it is weird that Google share is growing even if 3 out of the top 5 didn't grow in market share.

About that Samsung sheep name, someone will think of something more apt... probably related to the colors.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]My numbers we're calculations based on the data.10.8% of 234 million phone subscriber = 25.272 million28.1% of 90 million smartphone = 25.29 million.[/citation]
iPhones are considered Smartphones.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
After looking at his last article on i* batteries, did Tom's actually hire this guy to do apple news, or is Apple paying for advertising and using this as some sort of 'viral' marketing campaign?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
The author of this article has just joined my never-read-again-list. How retarded (or paid-off) must Perry be to
a) title his article with some crap about iphones, when he could have, more impressively stated, that ALMOST HALF of smartphone users are on Android!
b) misinterpreting the numbers he himself lays out: whilst Apple rose 1% from Jul-11 to Oct-11, Android rose by 4% in that same time.
c) (unrelated to the article) ...guys, I don't have, and never will own, an iphone. But, whilst the "sheep" thing is something I heartily agree with, the iPhone is by no means a POOR phone. It's for simpletons, yes, but it's good at what it does. The PRICE is ridiculous, but that's a separate issue. Let them buy iPhones, and let idiots like Perry keep pushing and lauding Apple. I'm just not going to read it anymore.

G

I wouldn't trust any of the information in this article. The headline contradicts the first paragraph -- which is it, mobile overall or smartphone?

Where's RIM in the calculation?

And Apple the only one in the top 5 growing? I don't think so -- how is that calculated? I've seen numerous reports of Samsung growth.

Man, the quality of this tech blog has gone down over the years...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]In other news, 90% of American smartphone users aren't irritating hipster douchebags who think owning a branded product gives their lives meaning and themselves a personality.[/citation]
As opposed to those irritating hipster douchebags who assume that all iPhone owners are irritating hipster douchebags?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I think when we start to see Android devices that are manufactured with durable high quality cases, have great screens (like the HTC Rezound), are fast and have better battery life they'll better compete.

The Motorola RAZR is almost there but its screen and battery life leave some to be desired. However, it has the build quality that should be the rule, not the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.